Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 11-28-2011, 08:03 PM
Squishy face

Default Blurry pictures in low/inside light

So I have a little Nikon Coolpix P&S, 12 Megapixels, 3.6X zoom. I have difficulty getting a decent picture when I am taking them inside, even if the light is good inside. Most of my pictures are outside in the sunlight since I am taking pics of dogs, but when I want to take pics of cats in the cattery, I struggle with getting anything not blurry! Also, if I take pics when its nearing dusk and the sun is no longer super bright in the sky, my outside pics turn out blurry!

I usually have it set on portrait (if taking action shots, I set it to "sports"), and adjust the flash settings to my needs. I have tried it set on "night" and "dusk" and any setting that looks like it might help, but nothing works.

Anybody have any suggestions?

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 11-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Fishies!

Your shutter speed isn't fast enough to stop the motion. At some point. there just is not enough light. You'll want to find the setting that allows the widest aperture (smallest number) and the highest ISO. You might have to check the manual to see which settings those are.

If that still does not work, you need more light. You likely have a little flash, which might work (though cats can get big glowing eyes from those!). You might even find an inexpensive slave flash that goes off when the main one does to add more light.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:07 PM
Squishy face

Ok I'll try that. Thanks

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:19 PM
Mutts to you

If you're not using a tripod, you might want to consider that, too - especially for the indoor shots.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-09-2013, 07:22 AM
Wubba Wuv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snark View Post
If you're not using a tripod, you might want to consider that, too - especially for the indoor shots.
a tripod is definatly worth it

Seeing Eye Human
Bubba now has a Youtube channel!
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPEnu7AB5-WHSPJqjP4OK0g
subscribe cause i'll be adding vids all the time!