Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 11-21-2011, 10:18 PM
Top Dog

I don't think corn is as evil as some make it out to be. But I also don't think it's a necessary ingredient in dog food, let alone the main source of protein. But I don't see how it's terribly worse than some of the other grains used even in 'high quality' pet foods. It's hard for me to say. I stay away from corn personally (for my dog). But my dogs food DOES contain oatmeal, barley and brown rice. What makes those superior to corn?

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-21-2011, 10:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Corn has been determined to have a protein content of 16.1%, with respectable levels of essential amino acids. According to Kemmerer and Acosta,3 corn is “approximately optimum in histidine, leucine, phenylalanine, and valine.” In comparison, broccoli has a 29.4% protein content, cauliflower has 24.3%, and carrots have 6%. The authors state that “carrot protein is deficient in all the essential amino acids.”3
Soooo...let's comapre corn to broccoli and carrots and cauliflower, since those are what we all feed our dogs as their primary source of protein?

Quote:
Because cats are obligate carnivores, they have greater protein needs per body weight than dogs. A cat requires approximately 2 g/lb/d of protein, whereas a dog requires approximately 1 g/lb/d. It is important for the ingredients in canine and feline diets to be balanced to provide an optimal amount of nutrients in the daily ration. Corn contributes a wide range of nutrients while offering balanced energy. In addition, corn has highly digestible (>90%) protein and a moderate amount of fat.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but this basically says "Cats are obligate carnivores. So let's feed them corn."

Quote:
I stay away from corn personally (for my dog). But my dogs food DOES contain oatmeal, barley and brown rice. What makes those superior to corn?
I stay away from all grains. But I have lately been thinking what makes potato and sweet potato so special - they're still carb-loaded (I think I'd prefer sweet potato to potato for fiber among other things, but still) and honestly, are they nutritionally all that different from grain? I got a couple bags of Nature's Variety Instinct (on sale for $38 a bag, woohoo!) and realized there are no carb-heavy ingredients, really. There's meat, and there's vegetables, and some added nutrients, but no potatoes or grains or anything. And it has 42% protein, which is awesome (Logan's butt doesn't seem too fond of the food so far, though).
Old 11-21-2011, 10:42 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Soooo...let's comapre corn to broccoli and carrots and cauliflower, since those are what we all feed our dogs as their primary source of protein?
I know, WTF?! And ugh, um hello? Just because the amino acids are THERE doesn't mean the dog can digest those foods well enough to access them! That's WHY I spend all that time grinding down my dogs' veggies... so they can get some benefit from them.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:44 PM
Top Dog

Best part of the whole article lol.......

about the author

Quote:
Ms. Holloway is a veterinary sales consultant for Nestlé Purina PetCare.
Old 11-21-2011, 10:45 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post

about the author
OMG I MISSED THAT!

Old 11-21-2011, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Ms. Holloway is a veterinary sales consultant for Nestlé Purina PetCare.
I missed that too, but I was going to ask who sponsored the article. I figured it had to be either Hills or Purina. At the clinic the doctor calls Hills ofr a nutrition consult on every freaking thing. Gee, I wonder what food they'll recommend...probably Hills! Ugh.

We had someone come in with a dog today that was diagnsoed with diabetes. They currently feed a grain-free food with 30ish% protein. And he recommended they switch to W/D (18% protein and frekaing 51% carbs!). Ew. (Thankfully, they decided to stick with their current food!)
Old 11-21-2011, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

about the author
But of course!!
Old 11-21-2011, 11:38 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:

about the author
Hahah I forgot to include that gem!

Quote:
I don't think corn is as evil as some make it out to be. But I also don't think it's a necessary ingredient in dog food, let alone the main source of protein. But I don't see how it's terribly worse than some of the other grains used even in 'high quality' pet foods. It's hard for me to say. I stay away from corn personally (for my dog). But my dogs food DOES contain oatmeal, barley and brown rice. What makes those superior to corn?
While I prefer to go grain-free, I do not think all grains are equal. Some are worse than others. With corn being at the bottom--it's not easily digestible, it has a high glycemic index, it just doesn't need to be in dog food when there are much better ingredients out there. It's just something cheap to throw in there.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 AM
Top Dog

Wowzers... I don't know whether to laugh or cry.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-22-2011, 07:28 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I know, WTF?! And ugh, um hello? Just because the amino acids are THERE doesn't mean the dog can digest those foods well enough to access them! That's WHY I spend all that time grinding down my dogs' veggies... so they can get some benefit from them.
To be fair this is very ground down, and grinding veggies isn't to make amino acids more available. Its because dogs don't grind when they eat they way herbivores and ominvores do. So we have to do it for them. I personally don't feed my dogs veggies.