Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 11-21-2011, 04:13 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Post edited. I meant both dogs and puppies. If the puppies are happy and healthy and coming out of it with no issues, I just don't see the problem.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Top Dog

I would buy from a breeder who kept their dogs in kennels but not one who raised the puppies in kennels, I'd rather they be socialized to house noises and the house environment right from the start.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-21-2011, 04:21 PM
Twin 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I would buy from a breeder who kept their dogs in kennels but not one who raised the puppies in kennels, I'd rather they be socialized to house noises and the house environment right from the start.
Ok, so I am down with people buying from whatever breeder they want so don't take this as an attack as it's not meant that way. But I honestly am curious about this.

If the puppies that are coming out of the breeder aren't phased in the least by being brought into the home after being raised in kennels outside why does it matter? If they aren't afraid of things, bomb proof, stable dogs then why does if they are socialized in the homes make any difference?
Old 11-21-2011, 04:24 PM
MyHorseMyRules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Ok, so I am down with people buying from whatever breeder they want so don't take this as an attack as it's not meant that way. But I honestly am curious about this.

If the puppies that are coming out of the breeder aren't phased in the least by being brought into the home after being raised in kennels outside why does it matter? If they aren't afraid of things, bomb proof, stable dogs then why does if they are socialized in the homes make any difference?
Exactly.
Old 11-21-2011, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

It would depend on the breed for me. Great dane? No, absolutely not. There is so many fear and temperament problems that run rampant in the breed that I want my perspective puppy to start off on the right foot from the get go.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:42 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post

1. It just rubs me the wrong way personally, on purely an emotional front... Dogs are family.. and if I had a litter of puppies, I would of course want them close by and inside. So I would want a breeder who felt the same way.
What if something happened? I dunno.. You brought these fragile little pups into this world, and to now just leave mom and litter outside out of sight. I just don't get it.

To me, the whole putting the mom/litter in the kennel is the first red flag toward these dogs being a business or more like livestock than they are really loved pets.

Are there exceptions? I'm sure.
but it's still not something I personally feel comfortable with.

I raised a litter of puppies. and sure, having them inside was an inconvenience, puppies are messy and loud lol
but I could NEVER imagine it any other way.
I wouldn't be able to sleep knowing they are outside.
So why not find a breeder who felt the same way?

2. I just don't think you can get the same level of home socialization from being in a kennel. Yea, they might know what being in a home is like.. but I think it's totally different from being RAISED in one.
I want a puppy coming to live with me to know about living in the house. All the noises, the feel of carpet, alarm clock sounds, to walking by and being picked up, to seeing people go about their business, etc..etc..

I want a breeder who has LIVED with these puppies and knows about living with them. Who sleeps well, who doesn't, who eats the most, who likes to be picked up.
because the breeder is there with them in their home, these puppies are part of everyday life because they are smack in the middle of it lol

Why would I want my puppy, who is going to be living in my house, to be raised in a kennel environment?

And even if there was NO difference socialization wise.
It still doesn't sit well with me.

Last edited by Fran101; 11-21-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
I agree. A lot of kennel raised puppies are very well socialized but it's easier to socialize in the home. Also in my experience dogs are smarter if they are raised indoors because of all the human contact.

To me dogs are dogs, not family, so I may be different from the perspective of many people here. I love them to pieces, more than people for sure, but they are animals... they have different needs than people, they don't need (and mine don't want) to be inside all the time. If I was getting a dog strictly for a housepet, I might prefer someone who kept their dogs inside, but if I'm getting a working coonhound pup, what do I care if the breeder kept their dogs in kennels or chain setups?
Old 11-21-2011, 05:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
To me, the whole putting the mom/litter in the kennel is the first red flag toward these dogs being a business or more like livestock than they are really loved pets.
Well that's rather how it is, to me, lol. Around my place, dogs are very well-loved and cared for livestock. Animals there for a working purpose.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:54 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I prefer to buy from people who think like I do and if they keep their dogs in a manner I would not see as the better option then I would part ways.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
Well that's rather how it is, to me, lol. Around my place, dogs are very well-loved and cared for livestock. Animals there for a working purpose.
*shrug* that's fine, and breeders/owners have every right to do what they think is right as long as the dogs/pups are well cared for

the point I was trying to make is that I DON'T feel that way.. so I probably wouldn't choose a breeder who did.

To me, dogs and puppies will always be loved pets, parts of the family, bed warmers, jogging partners.. etc.. that kind of thing lol
They might have a purpose other than that, but being companions is their main purpose
so I usually try to support a breeder who agrees with that state of mind and raises pups/dogs accordingly