Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 11-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Cloudcandy

Red face *I'm guilty*Time to move off puppy pads

Ok first things first,I know my way of doing this and what I've done so far has been wrong and the learning process for Coco is going to be extra hard because of the way I've done things.I'd really appreciate opinions and how other people would go about this problem.
So Coco is 7months now,we don't have an big problems but I know I made a mistake by using puppypads TOO long and things need to change asap!I made the mistake in thinking that this would.be a good idea,mainly based on my experience of a dog I used to live with that would go all over the house(he was'nt walked....so....yh)
I had a "doggy toilet" in a designated area of the flat that Coco has succesfully learnt to go in .Now I'm starting to think that that was never a good idea and yes...I was being lazy when I thought this would be a "solution" however all I can see it has done and all it will do in the future is teach her she can go in the house.
So I want to start training her to go outside...Can anyone suggest some.tips for making this process as quick an easy as possible.I kmow she can hold it in!She has done for 5hours max,I also don't know WHY I thought it would never work....I walk her two-three times a day.
*smacks wrist for being stupid*
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
*Now with Snark*

It's back to square one.

Step 1 : get a crate -
Step 2: use it when you can't have your eyes on your dog
Step 3: use a tether inside
Step 4: reward correct behavior
Repeat for at least a couple months or more depending on the dog.

It took Booker about 3 months to convert from inside potty to poop on the lawn even when the lawn is wet / cold/frozen.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:32 AM
Cloudcandy

Thanks!By tether do you mean by keep on a lead when at home with her?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 AM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
Thanks!By tether do you mean by keep on a lead when at home with her?
yep.

The only other thing I'll add is that it's so important that she walks her little butt to where her potty place is. Too many small dog owers sabotage progress by picking the dog up, walking outside with the dog, and then placing the dog on the lawn and standing there until they get tired of waiting.

Take the dog out of the crate, put her on a leash, walk her outside, say the command you wish (go potty! or in my case Hurry up!) and then mark once the dog does the behavior you want. ~repeat~ The ritual is important to getting the behavior set. In the beginning this can take a long long time but eventually the dog will go.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:18 PM
Cloudcandy

Ywah defintly!Thanks for the advice...I came home and even though her toilet was out she had been holding it in cos...in the.excitment of seeing her leash....she peed! Least she's trying!!
Old 11-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Cloudcandy

How does this sound for a schedule...
5AM toilet break (Didn't need this last night)
9AM Food and water down
9.30 AM First morning walk (Not sure about this order?Should I do quick toilet break,food down...then morning walk?)

[Watch continuously for signs of needing potty or crate for 5 hours max]

6pm-7.30pm Last evening walk
8pm-Food taken up
10pm-Water taken up
10.30pm-toilet break
11.30pm-12.30 -Bed time (In crate)

This is a rough guide as most day's she will be out and about with me in the middle of the day,or with me at home.If I am at work,max.weekend day's,she would be toileted at 8.15 crated 8.30-1pm walked 1.15-1.45 crated 1.45-5.15 and walked 5.30.

Does that sound strong enough?

Thanks for the help btw
Old 11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
*Now with Snark*

I wish I could say one way or the other but this is all dog dependent. Some dogs are great about waiting others - not so much. Really I think as long as you stick to structure and watch her for the sign (I gotta potty) you'll be alright.
Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Cloudcandy

Cool!Yeah Coco is good at holding it in.She has done 5hours in the middle of the day and 9hours at night.She seems to be catching on to it.I have kept her toilet in the house,mainly.so that if she has a mistake it is in her toilet and on the floor....bad or good idea
Old 11-07-2011, 06:23 PM
*Now with Snark*

I'd pick it up if it were me.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:14 PM
Top Dog

The good thing about having her always on a tether or in her crate, is that you'll be able to catch her having an accident immediately as she's doing it. Hopefully you'll be able to prevent accidents by taking her out frequently enough, but having her tethered to you will help you figure out her schedule even better.

And pick up the potty pad. Giving her two options (outside, or inside) will only confuse her.