Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 10-28-2011, 02:43 PM
On second thought...

Default Cheap, bulk raw?

I'm considering buying a freezer and buying raw in bulk. Anyone know of any sites that ship and sell on the cheaper side?

Thanks!

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

If you're having raw food shipped to you, it likely won't be cheap. Try to find more local sources for bulk chicken backs, necks, quarters, prok necks, etc. I get my chicken backs/necks for around .30/lb in 40lb boxes.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Top Dog

Yeah it's not going to be too cheap if you're having it all shipped to you.

I get most of my stuff from local grocery stores. I've never paid over $2/lb. for anything, and it's usually way under that.. like I get chicken quarters for .49/lb. most of the time.

I didn't start raw til I got my freezer.. if you don't have a freezer, you can't take advantage of buying in bulk! Have you checked to see if you have any co-ops near you? I don't, and it sucks.. I see the deals people get through them and am totally jealous.

You can also post ads on your CL asking for freezer burnt meat, or meat hunters don't want, especially now that hunting season is starting.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:40 PM
On second thought...

That's a good point about the shipping thing, I hadn't thought of that.

I will talk to my local grocery stores, but they also insist on packaging everything on those Styrofoam trays which is super annoying. The butchers I've talked to haven't mentioned cheaper in bulk options, but maybe they didn't think I was interested in bulk. I'll try them again too.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:44 PM
Twin 2

Do you have any Hispanic or Asian stores around you? Maybe even a little distance away? I get all my dog food from Hispanic grocery stores (Brain, Kidney, liver, heart, dirt cheap chicken etc.) If you can find one of those, even if it's a half an hour drive or so it's really really worth it.

I follow their deals and stock up when they have them and believe me, I've gotten some amazing deals on things there. .29 Chicken backs, .49 Chicken saddle legs etct.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
I will talk to my local grocery stores, but they also insist on packaging everything on those Styrofoam trays which is super annoying. The butchers I've talked to haven't mentioned cheaper in bulk options, but maybe they didn't think I was interested in bulk. I'll try them again too.
Oh man, I LOVE the packaging at most grocery stores LOL. I can't stand buying cases.. the last case of chicken quarters I got was 30lbs. and all of it was stuffed into a cardboard box. No plastic on the bottom or anything.. makes for messy thawing. I much prefer getting them from Harris Teeter where they package them in 7lb. "containers".
Old 10-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Packed in styrofoam is environmentally crappy, easier to divide though. There's a local coop, but I don't meet the amount you'd need to buy to participate. You have to take X amount on the pick up day monthly... I can buy smaller amounts, but it comes frozen together in like 10-40lb amounts that I need to thaw to package.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 11-05-2011, 08:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Do you have any Hispanic or Asian stores around you? Maybe even a little distance away? I get all my dog food from Hispanic grocery stores (Brain, Kidney, liver, heart, dirt cheap chicken etc.) If you can find one of those, even if it's a half an hour drive or so it's really really worth it.
Ohh boy I never thought of the hispanic grocery stores, I knew about the Asian ones. Which sadly there is none around here. BUT there is a Hispanic grocery/specialty store. I will have to check that out.