Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-27-2011, 08:19 PM
Resident fainting goat

Default Your favorite training books/resources/tools!

Figured it would be nice to have them all in one place

I really like kikopups videos: Dogmantics Dog Training the official “Kikopup” website

and through a dog's eyes, a book by a service dog trainer. Its not totally a training book, but there is alot to learn in this little novel/training guide
Amazon.com: Through a Dog's Eyes (9780812981087): Jennifer Arnold: Books

Oh and my favorite clicker, the starmark dog clicker!
Old 10-27-2011, 10:16 PM
Top Dog

Kikopup videos!! kikopup***39;s Channel - YouTube

Also, Click to Calm. Gavroche went from really not liking most other dogs to playing outside with 7 other dogs - and today, riding in the car with 7 other dogs, and the dog he disliked the most walking all over him (literally lol...he was standing on Gavroche so he could see out the window better). Amazon.com: Click to Calm: Healing the Aggressive Dog (Karen Pryor Clicker Book) (9781890948207): Emma Parsons: Books
Old 10-27-2011, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

I just got a new treat bag!!! *so excited*

(Yes, I'm a geek.)

OllyDog Treat Bag Plus : Backcountry K-9

It comes with a removable belt, so you can use the belt if you're like me and are working with a bratty dog who has learned how to rip the treat bag off of you; or you can take it off if you want to just use the regular clip. But the best thing is that it's got a magnetic closure, so you can pop it open and closed really easily. The magnets are quite strong, too, so even if it's full of treats (and it holds a little less than 2 cups, the same as a standard bag) the magnet will still hold.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:08 AM
Top Dog

For seriously understanding how to use behavioral science to train your dog, I still love Karen Pryor's "Don't shoot the dog". Oldie but goodie. Everyone says its dry, but I blazed through it.

Suzanne Clothier's "Bones would rain from the sky" is a must for every dog owner IMO - make that every animal owner
Jean Donaldson's "The culture clash" also. Real eye opener, though Donaldson is a bit less human friendly than Clothier

Turgid Rugaas' "Calming signals in dogs" is another oldie but goodie. My own copy has every corner chewed off by puppy teeth. I wonder if I should read more in to that?

Kikopup and Tab289 are my go-to's on youtube, though I also like a lot of what Michael Ellis on Leerburg has to say. Its a bit of a personal conflict for me though since I can't stand anything Leerburg otherwise, I'm so happy now that Michael has his own youtube channel! He's not at all PR only, but his understanding of how dogs learn is spot on IMO.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 10-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

For clients/"average" dog owners:
Cautious Canine by Patricia McDonald
http://www.amazon.com/Cautious-Canin.../dp/1891767003

Great for the average owner - deals with fear and fear aggression. When my roommate got her dog (then a foster) he was terrified of her brother and would slink away while growling anytime he came in the room. This book laid out both classical and operant conditioning exercises to help in plain English, and it totally helped. It also emphasized management in a frank way - there's a part where she says if your dog is fear aggressive and you're not willing to manage him with leashes and muzzles, then euthanasia is necessary.

Mine by Jean Donaldson
Even if I can't stand her, LOL, this is the same thing for resource guarding.

Also, Clicking with Your Dog by Peggy Tillman is good for beginner clicker trainers.

For myself, I love Morgan Spector's Clicker Training for Obedience. Full of great ideas, does use some technical language, and irritates by making the assumption that you trained Koehler and are "crossing over" (and therefor have never use treats before, lol). But it's a great guide for anybody interested in Comp. OB.

Also, for anybody interested in a formal retrieve: Keepers - Shirley's Retieve Shirley Chong's method is great.

Old 10-28-2011, 12:12 PM
Top Dog

Lots of my favs were already mentioned but I will add When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion
Old 10-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

We have a Clik-Stick and a Clik-R as well as the clicker Fran posted.