Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Yeah I know what you mean, they aren't exactly in abundance are they :/

I would say though that someone who raises dogs like that probably isn't going to have a website. Maybe try calling the corso club and ask if they know of anyone hunts pigs with them or owns a cattle ranch. Next I'd try posting on some pig hunting forums and classifieds and see if anyone there has some or knows of some. Of course you'd be shipping a long ways but if htat's what you're looking for it may be worth it.

Have you ruled out Ambulls? It may be easier to find a farm that has American Bulldogs that do actual farm activities and maybe does some PP as well.
Thats for the advice, I will look into it. Oh maybe I should talk to Pops. He might have an idea.

I have looked into AmBulls, but have pretty much tossed them out because of their softness issues they have in the breed. Soft breeds and I dont go well together.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 10-27-2011, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

To clarify, I think I often think in terms of extremes when I think of "sport breeders" - I don't think every (or even most) breeders could or should be labeled with either, and there certainly is no exact "criteria". I just happen to think of a very specified, sport oriented type of breeder when I hear the term "sport breeder".

When I get a German Shepherd, that's all I will be looking for. A good German Shepherd Dog
Old 10-27-2011, 04:26 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equinox View Post
To clarify, I think I often think in terms of extremes when I think of "sport breeders" - I don't think every (or even most) breeders could or should be labeled with either, and there certainly is no exact "criteria". I just happen to think of a very specified, sport oriented type of breeder when I hear the term "sport breeder".
I agree completely... perhaps it's a little unfair but the kind of breeder Fran is talking about is what comes to mind when I hear "sport breeder." More to the point, somebody who is breeding a dog JUST for success in a sport rather than breeding so somebody can own an enjoyable dog...

Beyond that I generally agree with Adrienne - semantics.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-27-2011, 05:53 PM
BusterLove

In BC's I'd take either but would prefer a good combination breeder. There are a few of them I like in Australia, the woman I am going to approach about my next dog (whenever that is) has just started breeding but I really like her dogs and the lines they come from. I think she balances performance and working skills well.

I don't have a problem breeding for performance but if I was taking on a BC I'd want them to be able to atleast dabble in sheepwork and a good BC breeder of any sort should be breeding to maintain offswitch and other good working dog traits.

Old 10-27-2011, 06:10 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Semantics.
Yep that.

For me 'working' dogs are dogs that are used for a function in a real world setting. Performance/sport dogs are competition dogs. There can be some overlap.

If anything the BC world has taught me that the two terms are not well defined and are open to interpretation.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:42 PM
Top Dog

Some of it depends on the breed. In GSDs and Mals "working bred" generally means the dogs are tested through some sort of protection sport. There just aren't enough police, military, truly tested personal protection dogs to support a healthy breeding population for working dogs. Most good police GSDs come from a pedigree with SchH dogs. That was actually the reason SchH was created - as a temperament test for breeding GSDs who were not being used for real work. But not all breeders who do protection sports are breeding for true working temperament, some really are breeding more for an outstanding sport dog.

In breds like BCs or Aussies though, working bred often means that the dogs are bred by people who actually use and need them on a daily basis for moving livestock. In hunting dogs, there is often a three way split - show, field trial and hinting lines because the field trials tend to select for extremes of what is needed in an actual bird dog.

For me, performance bred means the dogs are coming from a performance minded breeder, someone who actively trains their dogs for performance and competes with them. They may or may not also compete in conformation as well but they make breeding choices based on improving traits that make the dogs easier to train, motivate, etc. Just having performance dogs to one's credit doesn't IMO make a performance breeder if all the breeder shows in is conformation.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Some of it depends on the breed.
That. Totally.

Working bred in one breed might be completely different in another breed.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-29-2011, 12:30 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
Some of it depends on the breed. In GSDs and Mals "working bred" generally means the dogs are tested through some sort of protection sport. There just aren't enough police, military, truly tested personal protection dogs to support a healthy breeding population for working dogs. Most good police GSDs come from a pedigree with SchH dogs. That was actually the reason SchH was created - as a temperament test for breeding GSDs who were not being used for real work. But not all breeders who do protection sports are breeding for true working temperament, some really are breeding more for an outstanding sport dog.

In breds like BCs or Aussies though, working bred often means that the dogs are bred by people who actually use and need them on a daily basis for moving livestock. In hunting dogs, there is often a three way split - show, field trial and hinting lines because the field trials tend to select for extremes of what is needed in an actual bird dog.

For me, performance bred means the dogs are coming from a performance minded breeder, someone who actively trains their dogs for performance and competes with them. They may or may not also compete in conformation as well but they make breeding choices based on improving traits that make the dogs easier to train, motivate, etc. Just having performance dogs to one's credit doesn't IMO make a performance breeder if all the breeder shows in is conformation.
This.

Stockdogs are, IMO, going the same way you describe bird dogs. There are your immensely talented trial dogs who would not do a lick of good on a farm, and there are terrific farm dogs who wouldn't be spectacular in trials. There's a spllit even in the stockdog breeds between performance/trial dogs and just working farm dogs.
Old 01-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Active Pup

There are very few working Cane Corso as in police k9, hog hunting actual work but there are a few. Though a performance bred dog can still suit your needs which is performance sport or whatever you want to call it.

Basically they can be bred for one but do the other.

My CC is from show and sport dogs (like SCH). Great with stock which I no longer have however. If you checked out Byonics the black dog top left is her grand sire Noe.
Old 01-08-2012, 04:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Semantics.

I've known amped up "sport" bred dogs who couldn't possibly be more sweet and polite in the house, and dogs with herding bloodlines that would make working people weep with joy who I want to kick over a fence because they can't settle.

Dogs are dogs. Find the one that works for you. Don't worry about what the rest of the world thinks or what they call it.