Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Puppy Dog

With my breed being so all over the board still as far as appearance I looked for breeders that had dogs I like the look of but fit the standard. I joined forums that were specific to that breed and asked about the breeders I had narrowed down to and asked for PMs on experiences or warnings, etc. (as the corso world can be a bit difficult to navigate )and then I started to research the dogs I like, looked at puppies they threw, females they had be breed to, what those puppies have achieved, if health testing was done on the puppies how the results for the ones done have turned out. I like to see the health testing but with a newly recovered breed I don't rule out a puppy that's parents aren't perfect in everything, if there was a valid reason for the breeding and that I am told up front so I can make that decision for myself.

I eliminated any breeder that was more concerned with getting my $$ then anything else. Ones that priced according to colour were gone too. I don't like breeders that have too many litters in one year, or appear to flood the market with their dogs or even have too many dogs at their house as I wonder how they are able to give individual attention to each one. I want to see breeder support after they sell the puppy and I want to see a good contract that lays out what I can expect from the breeder and what I as the owner am expected to do. I like a breeder that doesn't have to have me put down a deposit or anything in order to talk to me or answer my questions about the breed, that gets back to me in a decent amount of time ( I know that some have busy lives too ) Ones that if close enough don't mind me coming to see the parents and then if they are showing letting me know where so I can get out to see the dogs in a different setting.

Those are just a few things I can think of when I was looking for my corso breeder. If I remember more I will add to the list

It is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 10-25-2011, 11:25 AM
Twin 2.0

I was procrastinating on a paper or homework or something back in college and was just randomly researching Aussie breeders and happened to stumble across this little one that wasn't too far away from me. Started looking deeper, doing more research, learning more about what was "good" in a breeder besides adorable puppies and yeah. 10+ years later and I still think they're the creme de la creme; Chaz has only reinforced that opinion.

So basically, I got stupid lucky.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
Twin 2

I joined a Koolie forum and asked a bunch of questions and my breeder emailed me to help and I ended up in love with his dogs, him (He said Goodday Mate at the end of the conversations. How awesome is that?), his philosophy, no spay and neuter contract, worked his dogs, high standard for temperament, an established line and loved the look of his dogs.

Talked to a lot of people with his dogs and no one had a bad to say and the rest is history.
Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
So basically, I got stupid lucky.
I think thats what happens to most of us the first time.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM
Twin 2.0

I don't have a pup from this breeder yet; Sawyer is from Aussie Rescue.
Old 10-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Wookie Collie

I was originally researching sport BC breeders, then decided a working-bred BC was more along the lines of what I wanted. Did some researching, discovered that Ontario is chock full of excellent working BC triallers/breeders. I originally contacted Amanda Milliken, who to this day has been a great resource and keeps in touch. She didn't have any litters planned for the upcoming year, but pointed out Mary Thompson, who had a litter of pups on the way that looked to be a larger than expected litter. I looked up her credentials and her practices and agreed with all of it. Contacted her in late September, Finn was born November 22.

I didn't meet her (or Finn) until pick-up day, but we stayed overnight and drank wine and stayed up late chatting. She's simply wonderful. We're always in contact.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 10-25-2011, 04:41 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I got lucky.
I had asked for a referral from the vet office my sister used and they gave me the name of a lady. I called her multiple times and left a message and she never called me back. My dad decided to ask his friend, who was dating a woman who showed and raced whippets, if they knew any sheltie breeders.
Ta-da! So I called her and she talked to me for I think over an hour that first phone call... she did health testing, she showed, she had sheep and did herding, she did agility, she had a health guarantee... we went out to her house the next week and I think we spent like three hours there, LOL. We met all her dogs, we talked about a billion things. I met Auggie's dad and loved him. I met Auggie's brother and became obsessed. We put down a deposit.

I was one of the last people on her waiting list but a lot of other people weren't ready for a puppy, so I ended up getting a little boy. I think it was about a month later the litter was on the ground and little Aug came home ten weeks later.

In retrospect it's really good that the first lady never called me back. I wasn't as picky then, I just wanted a sheltie from somebody who did health testing and at least showed in confirmation. It's funny how much my expectations for a breeder have changed since REALLY getting into the breed and having gotten a dog from somebody who believes shelties should still have the attitude they used to, somebody who has sheep in her backyard and uses her dogs on 'em... I wouldn't give that other lady a second glance nowadays.

So when I say I got lucky, I mean I got very, very lucky... if that first breeder had returned my phone call, honestly, my whole life would be vastly different now. (For one thing, I would probably have a lot more money, LOL. Stupid agility hobby.)

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 10-25-2011, 05:28 PM
Resident fainting goat

Oh and the current breeder pick for future pup was found because a member of this forum has 2 of her dogs lol
Old 10-25-2011, 05:37 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Oh and the current breeder pick for future pup was found because a member of this forum has 2 of her dogs lol
Who who who?? You're BC right?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 10-25-2011, 05:49 PM
I'm All Ears

I still haven't found a 'perfect' breeder. I don't think said thing really exists to be honest.