Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-25-2011, 11:09 AM
Puppy Dog

With my breed being so all over the board still as far as appearance I looked for breeders that had dogs I like the look of but fit the standard. I joined forums that were specific to that breed and asked about the breeders I had narrowed down to and asked for PMs on experiences or warnings, etc. (as the corso world can be a bit difficult to navigate )and then I started to research the dogs I like, looked at puppies they threw, females they had be breed to, what those puppies have achieved, if health testing was done on the puppies how the results for the ones done have turned out. I like to see the health testing but with a newly recovered breed I don't rule out a puppy that's parents aren't perfect in everything, if there was a valid reason for the breeding and that I am told up front so I can make that decision for myself.

I eliminated any breeder that was more concerned with getting my $$ then anything else. Ones that priced according to colour were gone too. I don't like breeders that have too many litters in one year, or appear to flood the market with their dogs or even have too many dogs at their house as I wonder how they are able to give individual attention to each one. I want to see breeder support after they sell the puppy and I want to see a good contract that lays out what I can expect from the breeder and what I as the owner am expected to do. I like a breeder that doesn't have to have me put down a deposit or anything in order to talk to me or answer my questions about the breed, that gets back to me in a decent amount of time ( I know that some have busy lives too ) Ones that if close enough don't mind me coming to see the parents and then if they are showing letting me know where so I can get out to see the dogs in a different setting.

Those are just a few things I can think of when I was looking for my corso breeder. If I remember more I will add to the list

It is not fair to ask of others what you are not willing to do yourself. - Eleanor Roosevelt

Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't. - Eleanor Roosevelt