Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-23-2011, 06:06 AM
Puppy Dog

Default white sheperd breeder

Just wondering if anyone knows of, or can recommend any white sheperd breeders in BC preferably
Old 10-23-2011, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

What are you looking for a wGSD for? Show, pet, performance, work?
Old 10-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Top Dog

I would stalk rescues. You'll find a good pet there.

Sure wouldn't be looking for a white GSD for show or performance/work... They aren't accepted as GSD per the breed standard and breeding for color pretty much trashes functionality. That said, the white GSD people do try hard to hold themselves to doing things well, but still.... it is what it is.

If you want something for work/performance, take color out of the equasion and start researching working lines.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Just try me..

I have to disagree Monkey.

Not that I like breeding for colour, but white is so easy to breed for you don't end up throwing out too much genetic material to get the dogs you want. There is no reason you couldn't have a kick butt performance dog in a white GSD. I don't know about working drive.

Are they allowed by the white GSD rules to breed in regular coloured GSDs from time to time? That would be ideal (but likely makes too much sense to be happening)
Old 10-23-2011, 10:06 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Are they allowed by the white GSD rules to breed in regular coloured GSDs from time to time? That would be ideal (but likely makes too much sense to be happening)
I also have to disagree with Monkey. There is no difference in a white GSD and its colored counterpart. You can find wgsd's doing all the same things as the colored ones and doing them just as well. There are just not as many.

To answer your question Dekka it depends which field you are looking at. Breeders of white colored GSD's will at times add in a colored GSD to their breeding lines if they see something in that dog that will enhance thier lines.

If you are looking at White Shepherd Breeders or Berger Blanc Suisse breeders(this is what our new puppy next year will be registered as through the FCI, through the UKC she will be registered as a White Shepherd) they do not add in colored GSD's to their lines because they are now seen and registered as a seperate breed.

To the op no matter what you are looking for in the WGSD (pet, herding, protection, service, SAR, Agility, ect...) you will be able to find a quality breeder that can provide a puppy that can have the drive and intelligence to do it. It all depends on the breeder and their lines. Since you are looking in Canada I can recommend two awsome breeders but they are in Ontario. I am not familiar with the breeders in BC so can't recommend any. Please feel free to pm me if you would like their names and websites. They produce proven show dogs, police dogs, service dogs and the like. So their dogs are very well rounded.
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 PM
*Now with Snark*

I would agree with Monkey to a point. Performance is not the same thing as work, just as no working line GSD breeder would ever bring in a showline roachback GSD I can't think of one who would even give a white GSD a glance since their foundation is showline and beyond that selected for color which few working line GSD breeders even give half a thought to. Most are way too fixated on natural grip, temperament, and nerve.

That said lots of dogs can do performance, I would suggest saving a life and finding your GSD in rescue. I know at least here we get a few white GSDs in at the shelter every year.
Old 10-23-2011, 11:27 PM
Just try me..

I don't get the hate over the colour thing. The FCI recognizes them as a breed. Its not like they are doodle things.

I am sure there are loads of byb. But just because some do it wrong doesnt' mean you can't do it right. I agree work isn't the same as performance, which is why I said should have no problem finding a performance home.

(not that there is anything wrong with rescuing.. but its not like a 'cockapoo' where the most ethical way to get one is to rescue as there is no breed club, breed standard and usually no health testing or performance)
Old 10-23-2011, 11:29 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
I would agree with Monkey to a point. Performance is not the same thing as work, just as no working line GSD breeder would ever bring in a showline roachback GSD I can't think of one who would even give a white GSD a glance since their foundation is showline and beyond that selected for color which few working line GSD breeders even give half a thought to. Most are way too fixated on natural grip, temperament, and nerve.

That said lots of dogs can do performance, I would suggest saving a life and finding your GSD in rescue. I know at least here we get a few white GSDs in at the shelter every year.
The bolded part is false. The foundation of the White GSD is the same as the GSD. It was bred to be a working dog. And if you look at the right lines you will find the same drives as you would in any working GSD. If you are looking for WGSD's that can herd large groups of sheep all your do is look for the breeders that focus on that. And they are out there. If you are looking for a WGSD that has a strong drive for Sch. then look for a breeder that focuses on that. They are out there. And not just one or two. Most people are only familiar with the showline White GSD only because they are more prevelent. But many breeders focus on the working ability of the WGSD. The breeder we are getting our girl from breeds for drive, intelligence, temperment and structure. She has proven dogs in her lines that do herding, Sch., guide Dog work, and show.

It is all about deciding on what you want the dog to do and then finding the breeder that focuses on those things. Just like if someone wanted a Sch. quality dog you would look for someone who breeds not just for structure and temperment but also the drive for those traits. If you are looking for a dog to do herding same thing and so on. The GSD world is very diverse. And you can find breeders that focus on many different aspects of the breed. And the same is with the WGSD.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:25 AM
*Now with Snark*

Sch is not the same as working either. Sch is performance. Work is work. They issue a paycheck and you'd be hard pressed to find one in a law enforcement agency or military anywhere. I'd put more on finding a dobe actually working somewhere before I'd see a white GSD doing an actual job for someone's pay. The foundation of the white GSD is showline - period... end of story. You will find them in the showring - you will find them in ribbon contests. You will not find them working or if they do it's as a novelty because no serious person or organization uses them in any kind of consistency. Don't feel too bad about it - American showline normal GSDs are there too.

Show me a breeder using their white GSDs as border patrol, a military who actually uses them, a line of working PP/police dogs, a sheep farmer who actually uses them to do anything besides worrying sheep in a round pen. Then we'll talk.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:38 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I have to agree with Kat about the wGSD. They've been kept around for their color. They used to be culled for it, but someone decided they liked and well, here you go.

I don't even know anyone in the Sch world who would even consider a wGSD as a performance dog for their sport. I know they're out there, but so are brindle labs. I'm not sure, but I think that there has never been a wGSD to place in the world championships in Sch.