New foster - teaching "settle down"

HopeJoy

Introducing second dog - teach "calm/settle"
Hi -

So good to have found you all.

We are long time dog folks - foster parents, etc.

Brought home foster this afternoon and our dog and the new dog LOVE each other - but too much!

My apologies first - i am new to this great forum and already posted this under General Dog issues i think it is more appropriate here under Training

We are big dog folks and experienced fosters today brought home a 2 yr old pit (our 6 yo dog is a pit mix) they love each other They get super wild. The new dog has already figured out that our dog can go to my bedroom and she can go to the crate, to calm down (not as a punishment).

What I want to know is:

what can I do to condition them to settle down when we are say eating dinner or something?

Behavior desired - cease playing for a time now.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

How to train? Condition positively?

Thanks,
in advance!

Brattina88

My suggestion would be a "place" suggestion... Like, a go to your bed, or a mat, or even the crate. The more you proof it, the more solid it will be so you'll be able to disengage the playing even during dinner ;) And don't be afraid to use the crate when it gets too wound up... sometimes I crate Bailey when the play gets too excited, and a distraction, or a leave it doesn't work enough (or long enough).

Love this video for teaching that! ;)
Crate Training- Part 1- Clicker dog Training - YouTube

HopeJoy

Thank you for your quick reply. So you would suggest working on"on your spot"? Any suggestions in terms of placement? Not right to each other but in separate areas where us humans can see them?

lizzybeth727

I'm also strict with my dogs about roughousing only outside, not inside. Inside is for calm, peaceful behaviors. If they can't be calm in the house, they go to their crates.

Members online

No members online now.