Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-19-2011, 08:11 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Default Insurance for dog trainers

Does anyone on here do in-home training? I have one woman who is signed up for my OB class that also desperately needs help with house manners. She has a 7 month old rough collie who's currently wearing his ass for a hat. LOL He' just a teenager that needs some structure and direction. Anyway.

The issue is that through work, I'm protected through our insurance. Free-lance, I'm not. While I don't really mind doing a bit a free-lance work uninsured, I feel like in the long run, I'm asking for problems. Boss doesn't want me to make house calls through work because that would drive the facility's insurance costs up.

So, if you make house calls, do you have insurance? If so, what company/policy do you use? Thanks!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:40 AM
Behavior Nerd

I have a liability policy through Mourer Foster (plan is thru CNA but Mourer Foster is the company my agent is with) - about $350/yr for a $2 million policy that covers *everything*. I do primarily in home with the owner present, but I'm also covered if I take the dog with me somewhere for training, if I'm at the owner's house without them present, etc.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

Yes, fully insured and I also do In-Home Training, I am covered no matter where I train. But mine also includes my facility/buildings, grounds etc and I am in Canada, so help to you, sorry.

But I wanted to add that you should be insured, I recently heard (through my insurance agent) of a trainer that wasn't insured and the dog she was working with bit someone. The owners of the dog were sued and then both the person that got bit and the owners of the dog sued the trainer.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:39 PM
*Now with Snark*

It's a good idea to have insurance even if you are working with people you know well. You never know what people will try to pin on you.

I know someone who was sued because a dog she trained in a week long board and train was left in a loose in a car by the owner and managed to chew up the interior which resulted in a vet bill and a serious car repair.