Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-14-2011, 04:14 PM
Wild At Heart

Default Puppy training.

I've been asked to help train my aunt and uncle's new chocolate lab puppy, but its been 2 years since I've had a puppy! I'm a little rusty

I don't even remember what I used for treats... I'm sure I used anything I could get my hands on because in true Lab fashion she wouldn't refuse anything, LOL.

Obviously I know how to train a puppy, I'm just wanting some ideas as far as weekly training and homework I can give them to do with him. As well as "no-no" things to do... as this is their first puppy. Treat ideas are good too

Harleigh <3
Old 10-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikkiluvsu15 View Post
Obviously I know how to train a puppy, I'm just wanting some ideas as far as weekly training and homework I can give them to do with him. As well as "no-no" things to do... as this is their first puppy. Treat ideas are good too
Ask them what they want to learn.... then prioritize and talk about expectations, and start working on their list. Add in a talk about important developmental stages, nutrition, socialization, and other pertinent puppy issues.

And be careful. Training family is much more difficult than training strangers. Family tends to not respect your expertise or value your advice the way strangers do. I've been burned a few times. Now when family asks me for advice, I tell them to hire a trainer.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:51 PM
*Now with Snark*

Honestly... kibble works well for most labs. I would suggest taking the food dish, filling it up with the amount she should be eating and then just using that for training treats until you run out of what's in the dish.

Labs tend to have a hard time staying lean growing up especially because they seem so hungry all the time.