Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-03-2011, 01:22 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Field Spaniels?

I stumbled upon a picture of one recently and thought they were gorgeous dogs and they piqued my interest. Does anyone know anything about them? Personality? Temperament? Activity level? Coat care?

How do they compare to English Cocker Spaniels? (They seem to look a lot alike, so I didn't know if they were related in any way, shape, or form.)

Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM
& the Muttly Crew

My experience is pretty anecdotal since it's based on a sample size of one: a dog in one of my agility classes.

This dog was HIGH energy, high drive, a real workaholic fireball. I loved her. If I were to get a small dog...

That said, like most high drive fireballs she was not the easiest dog to live with. Fortunately she was in anactive family who spent a lot of time at their lake cabin, and who were very dog-oriented.

According to the owner, it took him a very, very long time to track down a breeder he liked who was willing to sell a pup to a pet (read: non-hunting) home. According to him the true field spaniels are bred for hunting hunting and more hunting and the breeders are particular about keeping them that way...not alloing them to turn into, well, most of the companion spaniels.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 08-07-2011, 09:20 PM

I did end up emailing the breeder nearby that has them. She was super helpful and great to talk with. I think I may have my "small" breed picked out. A bit bigger than what I would have prefered, but still about the same size - if not smaller - than Chloe and that was about the max size I was thinking of if I can't end up getting a large breed.

She said in terms of their exercise requirements, it all depends on the lines (which makes sense). Her dogs and the dogs she is used to working with are up for anything, but they are also able to just hang out and relax if that is what you want to do. She said she had an import dog one time that drove her up the wall with its energy level, though, so she said you just have to pay attention to what the breeder's goal is for their dogs.

Seems like the coat care isn't astronomical and the temperament seems to be just about what I was looking for, too.

I think I'm going to see if I can meet some of her dogs at some point.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:32 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
According to the owner, it took him a very, very long time to track down a breeder he liked who was willing to sell a pup to a pet (read: non-hunting) home. According to him the true field spaniels are bred for hunting hunting and more hunting and the breeders are particular about keeping them that way...not alloing them to turn into, well, most of the companion spaniels.
See, I've heard the exact opposite, for most of them. The gene pool is tiny. A lot of people show them, and then... it goes down from there.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

I met one today. My interest was piqued from this thread.. and I did some minor research. I kinda liked them.

One I met today was cool. Multiple AAC Qs at the first trial.. Shy shy shy. Loved all dogs, didn't want to meet people. Owner told me the breed standard calls for them to be reserved, but hers is above average..

Little bigger than I'd like. Bigger than either cocker type at about 50 pounds. Kind of like shrinking a lab.. same amount of body on shorter legs. More coat care than I figured. Good amount of coat, not just furnishings, but can be as much as floor sweepingly long - he'd been cut multiple times for summer. Texture more like a long haired lab, less like most spaniels..

I'd like to meet another, compare.. but due to how few there are.. the odds aren't in my favour.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-08-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
I met one today. My interest was piqued from this thread.. and I did some minor research. I kinda liked them.

One I met today was cool. Multiple AAC Qs at the first trial.. Shy shy shy. Loved all dogs, didn't want to meet people. Owner told me the breed standard calls for them to be reserved, but hers is above average..

Little bigger than I'd like. Bigger than either cocker type at about 50 pounds. Kind of like shrinking a lab.. same amount of body on shorter legs. More coat care than I figured. Good amount of coat, not just furnishings, but can be as much as floor sweepingly long - he'd been cut multiple times for summer. Texture more like a long haired lab, less like most spaniels..

I'd like to meet another, compare.. but due to how few there are.. the odds aren't in my favour.
I'm fairly certain I'm going to be able to get my Lab as my next dog (was worried about size issues since I'll be renting), but I'm lucky enough to have a breeder of them in Indianapolis so if I ever wanted to meet some of the breed I would be able to without much hassle.

Old 10-09-2011, 05:10 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Nice, I'd never heard of field spaniels. From my reading I was interested as I'm contemplating dog 3 (not yet..).

Not quite on my list after meeting the one I did though.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 10-09-2011, 05:12 PM
treehugging clicker freak

The only time I'd met one in person was at one of those meet the breed things at an akc dog show They were bigger than I thought, but very sweet.

I'd love to have a clumber someday lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o