Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHotDobe View Post
Sorry I don't have any experience or advice to offer you Mia, but Fran, if you want a Doberman, I've noticed that natural ears are accepted much more than cropped. The neighbors hated (and still do hate) Rumor and will not interact with her or allow their dog to interact with her, but absolutely loved the natural-eared boy and treated him completely differently than they do Rumor. He was always welcomed over and doted upon.

I remember you talking about BCs, so maybe you've already given up on Dobermans.
I thought about that but it also stemmed from the issue of me finding an apartment that would allow dobes. Natural ear or no, the whole dog breed issue is BIG in Miami (pitbulls are banned totally as it is) and I'm a student who rents... so I needed to find a breed that was more ok size/breed wise

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Taxiderpy

Agree with everyone else about the fila. When I was talking to some kuvasz breeders, one suggested that a kuvasz would be an excellent working dog to replace Strider some day. Yeah, they'd be great at the working part. At letting paramedics get close to help? Not so much. Same thing with filas.

An APBT would be really good at the job. Other people will be the problem. You can fight most things and win, but is that something you want Caleb to have to deal with?

The biggest things are to decide exactly what tasks you want the dog to learn, then pick a breed with the ability that is also the type of dog you want to live with. It doesn't sound like he needs any help with mobility, so something sturdy and small is an option. I've seen a lot of small/toy breeds being used as seizure alert and response dogs, as they are extremely portable, tend to be long lived, tend to accept strangers, look non threatening, and are economical to feed.

Maybe something like a patterdale? A smaller hound like a beagle might work well too. At the working dog expo I met a family whose little boy had epilepsy. Their basset was being trained for seizure response. The mom said that when he was going to have a seizure the dog put both paws on the boy's chest and would start baying in his face about an hour beforehand.

It's interesting that we don't know exactly what they're alerting to, but hearing that the basset alerted a full hour beforehand makes me lean toward smell. The handful of other seizure alert dogs I've met were a poodle and some german shepherds, they usually alerted 20 mins or so ahead.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

The times chaz has had a seizure at home I think the cats picked up on it Dogs did not notice a thing and I think we had five at that time. You can not train them for it-they have it or they don't.

If you want one for him contact an organization and go with what they have. Good luck!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 10-05-2011, 05:09 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Cliff Notes Time ~
Cole = Mia kid The one in OP.
Caleb = My kid. decided alert dog not for him.

lol

Anyway , what about any of your current pack? do they act weird before an episode? I think it is really trial and error on which dog will alert , but the response to the actual seizure should be easily trainable to any dog. like fran licking her to wake up and so forth.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:16 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bogart- View Post
Cliff Notes Time ~
Cole = Mia kid The one in OP.
Caleb = My kid. decided alert dog not for him.

lol

Anyway , what about any of your current pack? do they act weird before an episode? I think it is really trial and error on which dog will alert , but the response to the actual seizure should be easily trainable to any dog. like fran licking her to wake up and so forth.
Dur. Okay, too many C names and too little sleep. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:16 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Dur. Okay, too many C names and too little sleep. Thanks for the clarification.
LOL i was thinking , wow another Caleb! lol Get some good rest !
Old 10-05-2011, 10:30 PM
Resident fainting goat

My bad I said Caleb too!! lol

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:15 PM
Top Dog

I'll admit I haven't read all the replies here, so I'm probably repeating some stuff. but here's what I have to say:

Quote:
I would love love love to train, or at least attempt to train, a dog to be a seizure alert dog. I know all about certain dogs, certain temperaments, etc., but I also know that much of seizure alert training is teaching the dog to recognize and then act.
You do not train a seizure alert dog. You train a seizure response dog. If the dog alerts to a seizure, GREAT! But it is a nautral behavior, not a trained behavior. And as such, it is not a task that will make a dog a service dog. The response work is what makes it a service dog.

How old is Cole? That's something to consider if you plan to have the dog with him at school or whatever. It's absolutely fine to have a dog at home that helps, but unless he's old enough and capable enough to handle a dog on his own, then the dog should not be a public access dog. That age is different for everyone.

I don't know a lot abotu Filas, but from what I gathered around here, they do not seem to be a breed that is good for service work. A service dog has to accept people hurting you when neccessary - going to the doctor, dentist, paramedics, etc - and that just seems to me like something a Fila owuld NOT be okay with (and I may be wrong - like I said I really don't know much about Filas). APBTs and other bully breeds can make fantastic SDs, but if you plan on traveling, it can be complicated - espiecally if you travel to a place where there is a breed ban. In March the laws changed and I think one changes was that SDs are not affected by breed bans, but that doesn't matter much when authorities take the dog first and ask questions later - possibly after it's too late and the dog is dead. A lot of people make it work just fine, but it's something to keep in mind.

The other thing is that training a service dog is not like training other dogs. There are similarities of course, it's still dog training. But I strongly suggest you work with someone that is familiar with SDs. Even if you're perfectly capable of the trianing yourself, the nuanced of how the dog is supposed to behave, how the handler is supposed to behave, etiquette, etc take a while to figure out, and if you can work with someone that has all that experience already, it will definitely help with the learning curve.

Another thing abotu alerting, only about 1 in 100 dogs are SD material to begin with. Dogs that alert are also rare. But in dogs that are suited to SD work, about 1 in 10 will learn to alert within 6 months. If after 6 months the dog doesn't alert, it probably never will. It takes a special kind of dog to learn to alert. Nobody really knows what it is they sence, but whatever it is, they have to learn that that signal - be it a smell, a slight twitch, or whatever - predicts something that happens 20-30 minutes later. That is SO beyond most dogs. That's like telling your dog to sit and giving it a treat half an hour later.
Old 10-06-2011, 01:37 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post

The other thing is that training a service dog is not like training other dogs. There are similarities of course, it's still dog training. But I strongly suggest you work with someone that is familiar with SDs. Even if you're perfectly capable of the trianing yourself, the nuanced of how the dog is supposed to behave, how the handler is supposed to behave, etiquette, etc take a while to figure out, and if you can work with someone that has all that experience already, it will definitely help with the learning curve.
Agree with this. It's really helpful for even the most experienced owner/trainer to have an outside trainer that is overseeing, or at least evaluating the dog throughout its training. I know there are things with Strider I would have been blinded to that were manageable, but not really okay behaviors for a SD. Having a very strict and experienced mentor who put us through the ringer helped me test him and see where we needed more work as a team, and allowed us to achieve that really high level of discipline needed for public access.