Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Seasonal allergy relief?

Looks like our first Minnesota fall is going to be filled with dog allergies! YAAAAY

Frodo is showing signs of seasonal allergies and I was looking for some suggestions to make this season a little easier on him.

I have him on a rabbit based diet, which in Chinese medicine is supposed to cool down the system. I figure it is worth a shot.

I know you can give dogs benadryl, how often is that okay and how much for a 30 pound dog?

If anyone else has any other suggestions it would be much appreciated.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:59 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

With Enzo, if she's itchy because of something (rare, but usually because she's gotten into the cats food, or another dogs food like purina at work ) I give her two 15mg pills.

It makes her VEERRRRYYYY sleepy though. Like, she's totally useless for the next four hours or so.

I forgot to say she's about 48 or 49 pounds.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 AM
Top Dog

Here's an article by Dr. Karen Becker on environmental allergies. She recommends quercetin (natural anti-inflammatory/antioxidant). You can also add coconut oil (helps decrease yeast production) and up the Omega-3 fatty acids (to decrease inflammation).

Valuable Nutrients for Seasonal Cat and Dog Allergies

I know you can get coconut oil at Whole Foods. GNC sells Quercetin, but I have no idea on the dosage for dogs.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:53 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I know you can give dogs benadryl, how often is that okay and how much for a 30 pound dog?....
Benadryl doseage is 1 mg/pound of body weight, 3 times a day. Pills are 25 mg each. My vet told me at 65 pounds, Caleb can actually get 75 mgs/3 times a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
... If anyone else has any other suggestions it would be much appreciated.
Besides the Benadryl (from early spring to late fall), Caleb gets Salmon Oil and organic Apple Cider Vinegar every day, a tin of sardines (in water or oil) and Vitamin E, and a raw egg (including shell) once a week all year (sardines & vitamin E one day, the egg another). I also hose/rinse him off if he seems extra itchy, or simply wipe him down with a baby wipe.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Top Dog

The dosage for Diphenhydramine (aka Benadryl) is 1-2 mg per pound of body weight. If your dog is 30 lbs, I would do 2 25 mg tablets (=50 mgs). You would give this twice a day (3 times a day for more severe allergy dogs).

Diphenhydramine works great on some dogs, but doesn't do squat for others. However, to use it to combat allergies, it must be done twice a day for at least a week before the beneficial effects might be noticed. I would give it for at least 2 full weeks before deciding whether it is helping or not.

If the dog needs something stronger than Benadryl, then you can talk to your vet about Atarax. It's a prescription strength antihistamine.
Old 10-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Another choice for OTC antihistamines is chlorpheniramine; just be sure you get the singular drug - it's a common combo-drug. It's an oldie, but a goodie. I used it with a boy who had allergies to oak pollen (and my neighborhood was lined with them). Benadryl did nothing for him, but this stopped the eye discharge and itching all season.

"The dosage of chlorpheniramine is very low. The usual dosage for dogs is 2 to 8mg/kg every 8 to 12 hours. Chlorpheniramine is usually a 4mg tablet, so this is roughly 1 tablet per 2 to 5 lbs every 8 hours."

Skin Disorders of Dogs - VetInfo

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)