Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-27-2011, 08:50 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Puppy officially knows when he is being bad

My puppy, Bunk, officially knows when he is being bad. As a general rule, we do not let Bunk into our room unless he is in his crate or we have him on our bed. Early today Bunk ran into the room after I left the door open and went right after my girlfriend's stuffed animals. The minute I walked into the room he jumped up and ran away. I could just tell by his behavior that he knew what he was doing was wrong.
I'm glad because it tells me that he understands consequences and respects boundaries. I feel like he is really progressing as a puppy, and as I write this, Bunk is sitting by my feet and has not had an accident in the hour since he ate dinner
Old 09-27-2011, 09:25 PM
Just try me..

sadly your dog does not KNOW he is bad. Dogs, contrary to what disney movies will tell you, are not moral creatures.

He likely ran away because he has learnt that you + him on bed = an angry you. Not that going on the bed is wrong.

Personally I find it sad that your puppy has to know consequences, instead of understanding what is wanted of him. I suggest you do some reading, Culture Clash by Jean Donaldson is very good. I am sure other chazzers will have some recommendations on some reading materials for you.

One big risk with animals we love is anthropomorphising. We have to remember they aren't people, they are dogs.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

Like Dekka said....it's impossible that he ran out of the room because he felt guilt or knew he was breaking the rules.

He likely ran out of the room because he's been punished or reprimanded for being in the room before, and he was frightened of you because he anticipated the same thing happening again. That type of training will work as far as getting him to run out of the room, but it won't stop him from going into it when he's unsupervised and it could cause other behavioral problems stemming from his fear of punishment and uncertainty of how he should be acting.

If you want him to respect the boundary of the bedroom at all times, you need to limit his access to the bedroom for a long time, probably until he's well over a year old. It's probably quite confusing to the puppy that he's allowed in the bedroom sometimes, so it would be a good idea to give him a command to go into his crate or get on the bed and then guide him to those places, and otherwise keep the room blocked off.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 09-27-2011, 09:54 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

He's a puppy. He certainly doesn't
Quote:
understands consequences and respects boundaries.
He responds to your body language and your prior interactions, like running off and being scared because you have acted intimidatingly.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground