Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 09-24-2011, 12:34 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default Labrador breeder recommendation?

Because my thread seems to have been eaten...here we go again! ^^

If all goes as planned, I'll be adding a Lab pup to the family next summer/fall. I've been eagerly waiting for two years now, so I've jumped the gun a bit and started looking at breeders (have been for quite awhile now, actually LOL). The problem I am having is finding a breeder whose dogs I'm happy with "type" wise. I'm almost beginning to think my ideal look doesn't exist, which isn't really a big surprise...I'm rather picky.

I want an "english" style Lab and I am a firm believer that Labs should be the medium sized breed the breed standard calls for...not the 90+ pound tub of lards I've been seeing. Most of the breeders I'm finding don't have dogs that structurally I am happy with. I also want a black Lab, so some breeders I've found are automatically out because they don't breed that color. I'm not planning on doing any hunting (or any other sports), so a highly driven dog is not what I want.

I pulled some pictures off of google of the look I really like in Labs. Most of these are guide dogs because those are the ones I could find that seem to be middle of the road in type:

When all is said in done, I'm going to care more about the temperament and the health of the dog than the looks...but I'd still rather try to find a breeder that is breeding the type I like.

I have been drooling over Kelrobin Labradors for quite awhile now, but I'd really like to find a breeder who would be willing to let me keep future-boy-puppy intact until I feel it necessary to neuter him. A neuter-by-X-age contract isn't a deal breaker for me, but I would prefer not having one just because I'd like to have that choice.

Does anybody have any breeder suggestions? I'm north west of Indianapolis by about 45 minutes. I'm willing to drive up to a day (8-10 hours) in any direction to get a pup, but I'd really prefer to not ship, so I'd like to limit myself to breeders in my general area.

Old 09-24-2011, 02:33 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

No recommendations, but those Kelrobin labs are GORGEOUS. I love Jake. <3 Good luck in your search! How exciting!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-24-2011, 02:39 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Have you thought about getting a service dog washout since you seem to like the type so much?

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-24-2011, 04:46 PM
Obey the Toad.

You and I have very similar preferences in lab looks. I love the breeder that you posted-if you find others with similar dogs please let me know!

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:32 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I hope this stays here long enough for you to see it, but check out

LABRADORNET - Labrador Typecasting

You should be able to find lines with those dogs in it by googling the "type" and lineage. Hope that helps some!
Old 09-24-2011, 06:34 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Oops, that said, *my* personal favorites are the Holton Classic, Whitmore, and Lawnwood types.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:59 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Have you thought about getting a service dog washout since you seem to like the type so much?
I am really really really aching for a puppy. A male black Lab pup that I can do some noncompetitive obedience work with and therapy work with is my dream dog at the moment. If it looks like a puppy wouldn't be the best fit when the time rolls around, that is an interesting option that I'll have to look in to. I'm also considering adoption a medical research dog through the university, but that all depends on the timing and the dog...and regardless, I WILL be getting my puppy at some point.

Thanks for the link, Charlie. I'll see if I can get it to help me out!

Old 09-24-2011, 07:01 PM
Wild At Heart

I have a few favorites that I think you would like - you (& others who are interested) can PM me if you want.

Harleigh <3
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Do they not have puppies avalible that wash out? I wouldnt think each and every puppy would go into the program?

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 09-24-2011, 07:59 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Do they not have puppies avalible that wash out? I wouldnt think each and every puppy would go into the program?
Most schools rarely disqualify pups (unless there is a health issue) and even then most often the puppy raiser home gets first dibs on the dog, and then if they don't keep the dog, there is a waiting list that is quite long. If that's a route you want to go, you'd want to get your name on a list now.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)