Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 09-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Top Dog

Default Chiggers

Anyone have any suggestions for chiggers?

Gavroche has TONS of chigger bites on his belly, all down his legs, and some on his head. I took him to work with me (vet clinic) and dr said it's probably chiggers, but didn't see anything on the skin scraping. This was on Friday, and he already had bites for almost a week then, but not as many.

Now the bites are dark red and some have black crusts on them - they used to be just raised and light red. He's been on benadryl 50mg (per vet) but it makes him so thirsty. The other day he went out at midnight and at 9am I work up to him panting and staring at me. Before I would get him outside he ran to his crate, back to the bed, then back to the crate peeing the whole way. I dropped his benadryl dose to 25mg but not sure if it's helping (then again 50mg didn't seem to help either). I did give him a bath in malacetic ultra shampoo yesterday and wiped his legs/belly down with a Malaseb wipe.

He's not really licking/chewing/scratching, but he has SO MANY bites and they look really nasty. There has to be at least a hundred bites.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

There's no replies to this thread? I could've sworn I replied to it yesterday. Did the forum hiccup?

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 09-08-2011, 09:54 PM
Top Dog

Um, yeah, there were several replies lol. I guess the forum got hungry.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

What the hell is going on? A few days ago it had the original thread, and now it's got the eaten thread, yet it didn't eat the eaten thread!

Feel like I'm in the Zone.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown