Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Rainbow Bridge - Dog Memorials

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Gadget Hound

Default So Long Dear Shadow

Shadow and I were both crotchety old f_rts when we found each other in June 2006. He was my 1st and only dog, but I was not his first human.

Here's a link to my "Hi Folks" post in January 2007 that tells Shadow's story and shows his "Gulag" photo from his 1st week when adopted at 12, he weighed 9 pounds after 3 weeks in the shelter.

We quickly became best friends, often spending 2-3 hours every day on long walks in the Denver Suburbs. We both slowed down a bit since then. In his 17th year Shadow's kidney's and arthritis weighed on him, but we still walked every day til the end.

Shadow was always a "sidewalk explorer", not a mountain/wilderness dog. "What is it about lap dog you do not understand?" I could picture him asking.

But we set out on our walks every day ready for adventure and loved every minute. I Photoshop a bit, and the photo below illustrates our best times exploring (in our minds eyes).

5 years and lots of miles and licks later, Shadow left us this morning. His poor old body could no longer hold his spirit.

I deeply treasure our time together. He taught me a lot about being constantly positive, living for today, and what loyalty really means.

Goodbye dear friend.