Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
THis is so good it has to be repeated. Doug LOVES the LOOK of huskies. He adores them. Always wanted one. BUT as I got to know him I learned that what he likes in a dogs character is not what a husky is. So I kept telling him "no this is not what you want. Trust me." What he wanted was a husky with a German Shepherd personality like Sheena. He just could not figure out that each breed is an indiviual and though you may love the look the breed personality may not fit you. He just was not convinced so we got Luna who is a mix of a husky, GSD and lab. Though lab was dominant in her looks her personality is a lot more husky. He loves Luna but he now sees that though he may love the look of the breed he will never agian own a husky. Nothing agianst the breed. They are gorgeous dogs, very smart, very strong and so on. But they require a certian type of owner. I have worked with the breed before so training Luna has not been to difficult. But Doug has a hard time dealing with the fact that Luna will never be a Sheena. He has learned that he has to look at the total dog and not the looks when determining the type of breed he wants. Sometimes that is what it takes for someone to realize it. And like I said he loves Luna. He looks forward to teaching her to pull a sled and wagon, to taking her for runs with his bike and so on.
Sounds like he wants a tamaskan (a registered one, not one of the crapshoot copycat knockoffs)
Old 08-30-2011, 01:54 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Sounds like he wants a tamaskan (a registered one, not one of the crapshoot copycat knockoffs)
WOW those are gorgeous dogs. When he gets home from work I am going to show them to him. He might want to add that to his "some time in the future" list. We are already contracted for a puppy next fall to hopefully take over Sheena's job since she will be turning 8 this December. But maybe in 10 or so years this might be a consideration for him.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:17 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
From what I gather the Tamaskan is another name for the utongaon, which is another name for a northern inuit.

Which is what, is who, is why - I have no idea. I recall asking this many years ago on a UK board and not really getting much more of an idea then either.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Are you dead yet?

Every time I see this thread I want that little Fila boy more and more! He sounds so perfect.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:00 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
I agree that returning the dog is the best and most responsible course if action. I never said nor implied otherwise.

But when one's home is nothing but a revolving door, then I think that other issues should be addressed before acquiring another puppy-of-the-month.
Sometimes it is important to be informed of past and present drama, both on and offline.

:-/
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:28 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
...People buy dogs and expect borders not to herd, and expect labs not to swim, chew, and play, and expect malinois not to be monsters, and so on...
Wait a minute-Labs are supposed to chew? Someone forgot to tell Caleb that. Oh wait, he does chew- food, treats, sticks, chew toys.
Old 08-30-2011, 03:39 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleLJ View Post
WOW those are gorgeous dogs. When he gets home from work I am going to show them to him. He might want to add that to his "some time in the future" list. We are already contracted for a puppy next fall to hopefully take over Sheena's job since she will be turning 8 this December. But maybe in 10 or so years this might be a consideration for him.
I had the pleasure of meeting one. She belonged to a vendor at a dog show, and it was at a very busy, crowded and LOUD indoor show. She was literally the most chill dog there. And she was really gorgeous, dozens and dozens of people just kept going up to her and touching her all over as she laid on the dog bed (the show was in downtown Seattle where a lot of folks just come to watch). She was awesome with it all, and reminded me very much of an extremely well trained GSD in temperament and demeanor more than a northern breed.

Her owner said that utonogans and tamaskans come from the same foundation stock, but that there was a political split when some breeders wanted to outcross for health reasons. The outcrossed dogs were bred with some working sled dogs from Lapland and their descendants became the tamaskans.

They seem to be more consistent in type than the utonogans I've seen on and offline. He said their temperament is much more like a shepherd/herder than northern breed as far as off leash reliability and biddability, though they tend to get really unhappy and dig/fence climb and wander if you leave them alone outside and ignore them. They've also been selected for much lower prey drives than you find in northern breeds and working GSD lines.
Old 08-30-2011, 06:22 PM
Blue_Dog

Wow. So because this person didn't drag their whole life on the boards for you to read and made a choice that several other members here have (respected members too) they are neglectful? It sounds to me like some people are reading between the lines where nothing exists to stir some drama up.

Oh wait I forgot you have to be part of the 'group' to get the benefit of the doubt around here. I forgot.
Old 08-30-2011, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

I'm not reading between the lines. I'm reading her words that she herself typed in this thread. However, that was already pointed out in a previous post.

And some here are familiar with the revolving door history of dogs, thus the more "heated" replies from some.

But everyone agrees that this puppy needs to go back to the breeder. So we can all focus on that (and some have offered assistance in making that happen).
Old 08-30-2011, 08:41 PM
Ruddy Buttinski

Not to jump in and beat the dead horse more, but that uber-clingyness can be very annoying. My dog tends to do that when she's insecure, and it's hard not to be really irritated with her, which makes her more insecure, vicious cycle, etc. So I can totally empathize with not wanting to deal with a constantly clingy dog - that would annoy the he** out of me as well. Following you around is one thing, being physically attached to your ankles and crying outside the bathroom are on a different level, IMO.

My current project, becoming a nonprofit: Lost Pets of Southern California
Sienna's new blog: Reasons My Dog is Sulking