Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 06-24-2011, 04:25 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

Default Hardly eating?

So I have an issue.

For a while I've noticed Sam only eats every two to three days, and only if I mixed his food with water. He'll go for the cat's food, but almost NEVER his own, even if it's readily available. I've tried moving his feeding location, what he eats from (regular bowl, raised bowl, on hardwood, on carpet, from a toy, in his crate etc.) but he'll flat out refuse it for several days. I've also tried switching his food but he'll just not eat unless it's one specific type of food (Now! Small breed formula or any kind of raw, which he'd be on 24/7 if I had the time, space, and money for it).

I've figured he's just picky but I'm starting to get the feeling that there might be an underlying health issue that I never noticed before. Im just wondering what? I've noticed that he used to be very active in the house but now he's content to sleep most of the day, which could just be that as he's matured he's developed more of an off-switch. He also can't chew bigger pieces of food, so I'm wondering if there's something wrong with his teeth?

I'll probably take him in for a check up. Is there anything I should be asking them to look for? I know thyroid levels can affect many things. Could this be one of them?

For the time being, is there anything I can do to get him to eat? He was shaking a bit this morning and I'm guessing that's low blood sugar/pressure. Is there anything I can give him?

Just looking for some insight. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!
(And yes, I will take him to the vet asap, they're closed today and e-vets are expensive, but if that's what he needs I'll take him there)
Old 06-25-2011, 01:31 PM
Behavior Nerd

Teeth would be the first thing I'd look at given what you describe. When Maggie had a broken tooth she stopped chewing as much, ate slower, and seemed more subdued. Once the tooth was removed she was back at chewing/eating like normal and muuuuch happier.

Old 06-25-2011, 01:34 PM
*Now with Snark*

I'd be looking at teeth as a primary. Has he ever had a dental?
Old 06-25-2011, 01:56 PM
Samson's Cheeze Ladyz

Not while he's been living with us. I'm not sure about before but I really doubt it, he's just a little over 18 months.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:40 AM
Active Pup

My dog has the different problem? it is not taking food properly means he is waiting when i put the food, before this eat eats properly.
Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Active Pup

I think the problem is in teeth. You said that Sam eats foodthat is mixed with water. It might be a signal of his difficulties with chewing. Anyway, you have to take your pet to a vet. To find another suggestions of why Sam behaves so strangely, you can read some comments here: http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consum...veterinary.htm.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:14 AM
hershey20

which could just be that as he's matured he's developed more of an off-switch.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:19 AM
Alan Steve

Change food..
Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 AM
Dog Food Coupons

The fact that Sam is willing to eat his food when you add more water to it, could suggest a problem with his teeth. But you say he has no problem eating cat's food. Also he readily eats a particular brand food. This looks like the problem is a matter of taste and preference. Your vet must have experience of problems like this. Hope he'll have some good advice for you.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:47 AM
Active Pup

Have you tried to let your vet check your dog? there might be some problem with his teeth or gums..