Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Glutton for Crazy

The breeder is very nice and responsive, everything you'd want a breeder to be in this situation.

I hope the puppy finds his way back to safe, responsible hands. Good luck pup!

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:34 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jynx View Post
You bought a puppy from someone and don't know their address? What about a phone number? sounds like you didn't do your homework on the breeder (barring the breeder has a really good explanation of why they aren't getting back to you they don't impress me either)

I guess if you want the dog gone bad enough, you'll have to chalk it up to a bad experience, and drive the dog there yourself or ship it to her doorstep.

I know their HOME address. I've been to the home. But how am I to know she gets mail at her home? I'm sorry, I didn't check for a mail box. If someone tried to send mail to MY home address, it would be returned - we don't get mail delivered, and have to use a Post Office box. So not knowing her MAILING address doesn't seem like such a crime when I have her home address, email, and phone number.

To my own credit... This breeder was WELL researched, and is a very responsible and respected breeder. Hence why I was TRYING to keep names out of this thread. But, since some egotistical people would like to think they know everything and open their big mouths, I guess my quest for anonymity on the part of the breeder is blown out of the water

For the record - I have no problem with the Fila-side of the temperament of this dog. That is not my issue with him. He is actually an incredibly sweet, responsive puppy. In fact - he is beyond sweet and responsive. He is incredibly soft (temperament wise) with me. For those of you who apparently know me OH SO WELL - you know that I don't work well with soft-temperament dogs. I didn't comprehend the degree of softness Filas have with their owners, having never owned one and only seeing Filas from the "I'm a stranger" side of it. So excuse the hell out of me for recognizing that the dog is not a proper fit for me and my home, and trying to do the responsible thing by returning it to its breeder

Adrianne - All I can do is laugh. Yes, my hands sure aren't safe and responsible! I love how some forum people get egos and think they know everything about someone and therefor have the right to condemn them at will.
Old 08-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Felurian

If you send her something via snail mail to her home address and she doesn't get mail there, then you'll get it returned and you'll know

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-28-2011, 05:58 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I'm not condemning you, I hope you and the breeder work things out. He's obviously not in the best hands if you're not choosing to keep him, seems simple? I am not the best life long home for my foster dog, that is why I am still looking for a home for him, it's not some grand insult.

I can only know exactly what you put out there on forums, you seem like a nice gal, I have several friends who have known you in person at trials, and you seem to love your dogs. You are however seemingly going through some tough stuff which has put your dogs in some turmoil (placing multiples) so maybe taking a step back and not getting more puppies right away would be the best option.

Good luck either way you go.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:38 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I'm not condemning you, I hope you and the breeder work things out. He's obviously not in the best hands if you're not choosing to keep him, seems simple? I am not the best life long home for my foster dog, that is why I am still looking for a home for him, it's not some grand insult.

I can only know exactly what you put out there on forums, you seem like a nice gal, I have several friends who have known you in person at trials, and you seem to love your dogs. You are however seemingly going through some tough stuff which has put your dogs in some turmoil (placing multiples) so maybe taking a step back and not getting more puppies right away would be the best option.

Good luck either way you go.

For some reason, people have SERIOUS issues with taking in dogs and attempting to find them homes that are right for them. For some reason, people think that if someone takes in a dog, it should stay with them? The dogs I was placing, with the exception of one with special circumstances, were not "my" dogs - one was a shelter pup, and one was dumped on me by an ex-girlfriend. The cause of a lot of the turmoil WAS having extra dogs in the house that weren't proper fits, seeing as how they weren't dogs I chose to bring into the home. Trust me, I've learned my lesson about trying to help out people by helping out their dogs! MY dogs don't get rehomed when things are tough or crappy - they are all I have, and I am all they have... we stick with each other. I have a habit of opening my heart to animals that don't have such devoted people, and attempting to find that for them. For some reason, people interpret that as me "getting" dogs and then "rehoming" them... when I never intended to keep the dog for my own, only to find it a proper home. Which, fortunately for the dogs and unfortunately for my reputation, has worked out extremely well. But I'm entirely over the drama, chaos, and everything else associated with independent rescue work - which is why I am keeping an eye out for a dog for ME, instead of trying to help anyone else.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:11 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I guess I would feel differently if your dogs had been known as fosters.

In the past you've labeled dogs as "ours" and "fosters". I didn't see the ones you're rehoming having been labeled as fosters.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Felurian

Let's try to avoid OFD (Other Forum Drama). If someone isn't what they seem it will show up sooner or later. We try to let people have a fresh start here.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 08-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I completely understand and respect that, Renee. I was confused by "I am looking for appropriate homes for three members of my pack, through no fault of their own." (http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t137636/) I took this as a owner rehoming, not a foster placement, the source of my confusion.

Old 08-28-2011, 07:41 PM
...ice road...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I guess I would feel differently if your dogs had been known as fosters.

In the past you've labeled dogs as "ours" and "fosters". I didn't see the ones you're rehoming having been labeled as fosters.

If you look at my original thread about the shelter puppies, I said they were too young to decide what would happen to them. If one happened to fit in and be what I wanted, then that's how it would be. If not, I'd continue looking for homes for them. No, some dogs didn't clearly get labeled as "fosters" - sorry that I am not strict on keeping with labels these days. I didn't label Angus a "foster" because I lived with the dog for 6 months when I moved in with my ex... I more considered him a "step-dog" and there was a trial period where we were seeing if he fit into how things work here and now, or if I should look for a home for him. He actually went on TWO trials with awesome, wonderful dog owners - and got returned both times. Not for any fault of his own, but just because he didn't feel like "their dog" and didn't fit in. Since the last trial he went on, which was longer than the first, he has actually modified behaviours I was working on with him and while he fit in here before, he now isn't a "work in progress" but a full blown member of the pack. I see no reason to attempt to rehome him again... he greeted me like one of MY dogs greets me when the last person brought him back. Though it's quite possible that when I move again, he'll stay with my father... Angus makes quite the awesome "man cave" dog So, what it comes down to is... dogs that come in that I haven't specifically chosen to be a part of the pack, can go either way. If they make a spot for themselves and just seem meant to be, they stay. If not, they find their perfect home and move on their way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Let's try to avoid OFD (Other Forum Drama). If someone isn't what they seem it will show up sooner or later. We try to let people have a fresh start here.

I laughed pretty hard when I saw "OFD" because I am used to seeing "OFC" meaning open field coursing... so I was like... Open field... dogs? drama? dynamite? O.o oh hey, parenthesis, maybe I should read that! LOL
Old 08-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

I don't understand the "filas are soft with their owners". Filas are loyal dogs typically preferring their one owner, but accepting the rest of the family as theirs as well. APBTs are pretty much smooshballs on paws. They are far more "soft" with humans than a Fila would ever be. And I never met a BT that didn't think it's job was to cuddle up to any 2-legged creature it ever met.

I just don't get the "soft" issue. Unless you're looking for a dog that will try to dominate you and test your every command as a threat to it's pack status every minute of day. And I just don't get that. (but maybe I'm too far off in the wrong direction)

But a soft mastiff........I've never ever met such a creature.