Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-18-2011, 12:26 PM
Active Pup

Thumbs up Arthritic Pup

Hello to all my fellow dog lovers! I just wanted to post something about one of my pups and her battle with arthritis. I have not seen many threads on here address this particular subject. I have 3 dogs, all rescues that i just don't see my life without them I have an 10 year old Boxer, a 2 1/2 year old miniature grey hound/chihuahua mix and a 4 year old Red Siberian husky. All have their own personality but get along great. The one if you didn't guess it already that suffers from arthritis is my boxer Kenya. I have had her since she was just 7 weeks old and im very attached. when i first started noticing her limping (about a year ago) i immediately took her to the vet, however i was not pleased with his recommendations (rimadyl) and decided to try finding something more natural with little or NO harmful side effects in my quest i found a product called Synflex and decided to give it a chance, and boy am I glad i did! within about 2 weeks Kenya was back to her old self and she not only moves with ease she just seems happier and more comfortable. My advie to someone with an aging pup find alternatives to NSAIDS and other harmful drugs I did and Kenya and I couldn't be happier!
Old 08-18-2011, 05:51 PM
overdogged

Rimadyl and other NSAIDS certainly have their place, but I agree- for maintenance it's best to hold off use unless they're really needed, and when needed, find the lowest dose that works for the dog.

A good glucosamine/chondroitin supplement can work wonders for some dogs. Omega three fatty acids supplements also help decrease inflammation.

Though I do hate to see people not use NSAIDs for dogs who really could benefit from them because they've been given such a reputation as being "harmful". Used sensibly and with appropriate bloodwork monitoring, they are not generally harmful. Quality of life is the most important thing, and if your dog hurts, the quality is just not there.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:51 AM
Love my pets

Glad it's helping. We use Joint Max Triple Strength from EntirelyPets Discount Pet meds Pet Supplies & Flea Medicine

I know some others have success using K9 Full Flex.
Old 08-27-2011, 05:12 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
Rimadyl and other NSAIDS certainly have their place, but I agree- for maintenance it's best to hold off use unless they're really needed, and when needed, find the lowest dose that works for the dog.
NSAIDs have been linked to increased cases of gastrointestinal ulceration and renal toxicity particularly with long term use.

In our case, when Benoit, our 11 year-old Cocker Spaniel, first suffered from arthritis pains, we had no choice but to give Rimadyl. However, we were not that comfortable giving him an NSAID just to relieve him of a symptom. We had to get to the root cause and nip the problem at the bud.

while on Rimadyl, we asked around and also read on natural joint supplements and natural anti-inflammatory medications.

Benny is now on GlycanAid HA (a glucosamine-chondroitin-MSM supplement) and flexerna (a natural anti-inflammatory).

So far, he's enjoying his twilight years and living life to the fullest