Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-27-2011, 12:52 AM
...ice road...

Default Returning a dog to the breeder - Questions/Rant

I have a dog I am trying to return to the breeder. I say "trying" because it has now been a solid week since the day I called the breeder, letting the breeder know I would like to return the dog. The breeder said I would get a call back in an hour after arrangements were made to come get the dog - and it has now been seven days since I have heard from the breeder. I tried calling the breeder again on Tuesday and left a voicemail. I emailed the breeder in the past few days as well. Still, NOTHING.

Previously, I told the breeder I was having doubts about the dog and we talked about things and the breeder gave me some suggestions on how to work things out. This was a month ago. In the same conversation, the breeder told me that if things didn't get any better, the dog was welcome back at their house.

Now, things did not improve - and the breeder is not getting back to me.

So, my question is - where do I go from here?? The dog was brought into my home under a contract, and I was to make payments on the dog. So, technically I don't 'own' the dog as the breeder retained the dog's papers, to be signed over to me when the dog was paid in full. However, it is throwing my house into chaos to have the dog here and the dog is not getting the attention and training it needs because, quite frankly, I want the poor dog gone. This dog does NOT fit into my household or my pack like a dog of its breed should fit, and no one is happy - including the dog.

I am just incredibly frustrated that the breeder told me that the dog was welcome back should I not be able to work out the issues I was having with the dog - only to drop off the planet when I attempt to return the dog.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:54 AM
Top Dog

Sounds like a great breeder!

I'm not really sure what you could do.. although if it were me, I'd stop making payments. If the breeder isn't too far from you, could you just go to their house?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:17 AM
PSD Partner

I agree with Kady. Did the contract say the breeder would take back the dog for any reasons? Many contracts stipulate this, and if that is the case I would bring the dog straight back to her if she lived close by.,
Old 08-27-2011, 09:24 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I don't know anything about the money end of things, it sounds like a very frustrating situation there. The puppy however I hope you will give even tho you know is not staying the attention and training needed so that further down the road life will not be harder where ever the dog goes.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 08-27-2011, 11:08 AM
*Now with Snark*

Let's assume for now something happened. I was negotiating with a once breeder only to find radio silence and it turned out four of her family members had just wrapped their car around a tree 80 Miles away. Stuff happens.

Send a snail mail. Send another snail mail. Then send a final snail mail with a date on it to contact you by. Document what you're sending and do not make another payment on this critter. Until then manage the dog as best you can. It's really all you can do until you're sure the breeder is out of the picture and you won't end up in court for getting rid of the dog your own way.
Old 08-27-2011, 01:28 PM
...ice road...

She lives several hours away, which would cost more in fuel than I have available right now. Or else I'd leave the dog in her front yard! Yes, it is in the contract that the dog would go back to her... however, I don't actually have a COPY of the contract, so I don't know if it's that the dog goes back to her or she gets the first option of taking the dog back.

I don't have her snail mail address

I have actually not paid anything on the pup since the non-refundable deposit, because my issues with the dog started pretty much from the get go. When I left her the voicemail, I told her I hope everything is okay but to please just get in touch at least. I understand life happens, but I think she should be responsible enough to at least send a text or leave a quick voicemail.

I am doing my best to give the dog at least basic care - but without giving the full details on the dog it's tough to explain just how hard it is to do anything with this animal. There is a very certain type of dog that works in my household and with my personality/methods of training - this dog, is the EXACT opposite and even the smallest interactions with it are hell because the dog fundamentally does not "get it." But, I'm trying
Old 08-27-2011, 04:21 PM
Top Dog

Do you have any friends that could take the dog for now? Someone who could board it? Regardless of whether the breeder is a low life jerk or a wonderful person who is in the throws of a crisis, it sounds like the dog is probably not very happy in this situation, any more than you are, and I'd be worried about that as well.

Hopefully something will resolve itself soon and you can all be back to a peaceful life!

Old 08-27-2011, 04:40 PM
Top Dog

Is it the Fila puppy?
Old 08-27-2011, 04:58 PM
Top Dog

You bought a puppy from someone and don't know their address? What about a phone number? sounds like you didn't do your homework on the breeder (barring the breeder has a really good explanation of why they aren't getting back to you they don't impress me either)

I guess if you want the dog gone bad enough, you'll have to chalk it up to a bad experience, and drive the dog there yourself or ship it to her doorstep.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:58 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal View Post
She lives several hours away, which would cost more in fuel than I have available right now. Or else I'd leave the dog in her front yard! Yes, it is in the contract that the dog would go back to her... however, I don't actually have a COPY of the contract, so I don't know if it's that the dog goes back to her or she gets the first option of taking the dog back.

I don't have her snail mail address

I have actually not paid anything on the pup since the non-refundable deposit, because my issues with the dog started pretty much from the get go. When I left her the voicemail, I told her I hope everything is okay but to please just get in touch at least. I understand life happens, but I think she should be responsible enough to at least send a text or leave a quick voicemail.

I am doing my best to give the dog at least basic care - but without giving the full details on the dog it's tough to explain just how hard it is to do anything with this animal. There is a very certain type of dog that works in my household and with my personality/methods of training - this dog, is the EXACT opposite and even the smallest interactions with it are hell because the dog fundamentally does not "get it." But, I'm trying
Okay... Please don't be offended, or take it the wrong way, but this is just odd. You have a puppy from a breeder, but you don't know their address? Can you google their last names (or white pages) and come up with it that way?

In the meantime, you will just have to take care of the dog. It is YOUR responsibility and you CHOSE to bring it home. None the less from a person/breeder you obviously don't really know. On top of that, to quote you, you need "a very certain type of dog" that works in your household... how well could you have known a dog from a person who lives several hours away to make that decision? Like I said, please don't take it the wrong way, it is sucky that the breeder isn't contacting you, but you at least owe the dog to give him the best you can while he is with you. Rehoming a dog because it's not working out is not the worst thing, but how you handle the situation in the meantime makes all the difference. Unless the dog is reacting aggressively towards you and you have fear every time you enter the room, there is no need to punish a dog just because it's not what you thought it would be... or it "just doesn't get it".

If you have the phone no. and the last name, I'm pretty sure you can figure out how to get in contact with them... if you need help, well, we have some fantastic internet researchers on this board