Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM
Cloudcandy

Cool Bad Coco!

So Coco has this new thing to bark at things she see's it's never all the time...it's like some day's she will bark at these things and other day's she won't...examples

-Runners
-Bicycles
-Prams,children,children on scooters(This is especially bad because children run away scared and the parents look at me like I own the devil)
-Horses(happened in Ireland and haven't seen any since...strangely she only barked when the horses were attached to a carriage and running,we walked by the horses in stables and she didn't even look)
-Car's or vehicles driving through places you would not expect to see car's (parks)
-Motorbike's
-Seeing a dog,having a greet then leaving"BARK BARK BARK IWANNAPLAYMORE BARKBARKBARK"

I'm guessing this is the whole "I want to chaseee youu" thing,but I don't like the barking,I don't mind it but people look at her like "What a nasty dog! I know she's just excited,she's wagging her tail and all

sooooo what do I do?I tried to give her a "bad" experience every time she barks by making a loud clap in her face,this isn't always doable since people might think I'm evil :S
Old 08-24-2011, 07:31 AM
Love my pets

How about training her to the command "quiet". You can do it in the house and give her a small treat when she stops barking to learn the command.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:09 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudcandy View Post
I don't mind it but people look at her like "What a nasty dog! I know she's just excited,she's wagging her tail and all
They're right to be annoyed, wagging tail does not always equal friendly, plus most people find barking to be irritating.

Quote:
sooooo what do I do?I tried to give her a "bad" experience every time she barks by making a loud clap in her face,this isn't always doable since people might think I'm evil :S
How old is she?

I would NOT try to make it a bad experience for her to bark. She's barking because she doesn't know what else to do and she's probably too immature to have the self-control not to bark. You'll have to teach her that even though she's seeing something strange/scary/exciting, she CAN keep herself calm.

When she looks intently at something as if she's about to bark, BEFORE she barks, praise her and/or give her treats (lots of treats in quick succession) for looking and staying quiet. If she barks, move her out of sight as quickly as possible from the distraction, calm her down, and then reinforce her for being calm and re-focusing on you.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:36 AM
Cloudcandy

Thanks guys,I havent had much luck training her "ssh!" because to get her too bark I have to get her excited....and then she can't really concentrate.
@Lizzy I totally understand people being annoyed its just embaressing >_<
She is nearly 5months now,I had some luck the other day with runners,I told her sshh! and pointed my finger.at her.and by the third runner she was just watching them intently...unfortuantly I had no treats to reinforce that with :S
I wasnt too sure about making.it a "bad experience" thats.what my trainer suggested.
Old 08-24-2011, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

I think I would work on finding a new trainer.

My guess would be as she is growing up she is going through a fear stage where things are looking a lot different to her. If it is fear, the WORST thing you could do is make something she is afraid of even scarier.

And yes, reiterating that a wagging tail does not mean friendly all the time.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I had some luck the other day with runners,I told her sshh! and pointed my finger.at her.and by the third runner she was just watching them intently...unfortuantly I had no treats to reinforce that with :S
I wasnt too sure about making.it a "bad experience" thats.what my trainer suggested.
Yeah, I'd also suggest finding a different trainer. There's absolutely no reason why a trainer should be suggesting punishment methods on a puppy this young, not to mention the fact that it most likely will not work to stop the barking anyway.

At 5 months she's almost done with her "socialization period," but still, it's very important that she have lots of good experiences at this time in her life, as those she will remember for the rest of her life. Treats - or some kind of reward that will make an impact to her - are absolutely IMPERITIVE for you to have when your puppy is out in public. Once she is mature and experienced in public - at 1-2 years old - you may choose not to have treats with you every time, but certainly at this time she has to have a good reward when she has a new or scary experience.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:15 PM
Sit! Good dog.

There's a great 'its me or the dog' where she teaches the quiet command. Have a hunt for it
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-24-2011, 03:21 PM
Just try me..

I too say find another trainer.

She is half JRT right? You making noise to try to get her to stop is likely to back fire. She is more likely to think "Yay we are noise making buddies" that to stop. Or if she is barking cause she is nervous and you punish in ANYWAY it will only reinforce her idea that she should be nervous/upset about those things.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Just checked. You can watch ALL her series on the 4od
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 08-24-2011, 03:52 PM
Cloudcandy

o...feel bad now I clapped so loudly in her face :S
I do normally have treats i just forgot that day...
Yup shes hlf jrt...so i was expecting for her voice to happen soon lol
Thanks for the advice everyone!Im going to up the ante this week on.training.We already managed to not bark at runners today...so progress
@dizzy im going home for its me or the dog...and some icecream