Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
I'm having the same problem with Emma and recently Rylie. Rylie has summer allergies and has always gotten wet eyes during this season. Emma has had tear stains since she was a little puppy and has allergies in the spring/summer.

My dogs are on raw and drink filtered water... I wipe their eyes multiple times a day, so I'm not sure what else to do. I don't want to put them on antibiotics, and I'm not sure how well the natural tear stain stuff works. I'll probably try that next, though.
My kids switch between grain-free and raw and have for years. Cider's a life long tear stainee. When I trim her face, I take off some of the stained hair, I wipe it and looks better for a day or two, and then she's back to tear stains everywhere.

It's nice to see there are other choices now, as I can't justify life long antibiotics either, but I try not to let it bug me too much. For around $15 I'd try the NaturVet supplement.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 08-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

I heard mixing Apple Cider Vinegar with their water or food can clear it up (you'll have to look online for dosage). It works by changing the acidity of the tears so that the red yeast and bacteria that causes the actual stain can't survive in the moisture on their face.

I chose not to do it because I don't like the idea of changing body chemistry, I'm afraid it could affect urinary health. But there is no proof of this that I could find, so I don't know if it's really something to worry about. I don't want to risk anything though because it's just an aesthetic problem.

I think applying it directly to the tear stain would work as well, but if you got it in their eye it would hurt pretty bad I'd think, so it's not recommended. I did it a few times and never got it in his eyes, but he HATED the smell and started avoiding me. I didn't want to cause him to have face touching sensitivities so I stopped.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Taxiderpy

I don't know that it's possible to change the tear chemistry that drastically through adding the vinegar to food. We do give the dogs 1 tsp of cider vinegar in their food 2x a day. It's the raw unfiltered kind with the "mother" in it. Kaia doesn't tolerate dairy so we use it in place of yoghurt for her to get enzymes and probiotics. It may be more that it strengthens the immune system enough to take care of the bacteria/yeast by itself.

Kaia despises vinegar by the way. She will not touch water tainted with it. lol. We put it on her kibble with a squirt of fish or flax oil, then a half cup of tepid water on that. She always snarfs it down.