Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-31-2011, 04:27 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Default What would you do??

So there is a local dog event (pretty big one coming up) that the trainer we took Artimis to when he was a puppy is going to. She is having "training" classes there as well. She is NOT a good trainer. She messed up Art by forcing him to do something he wasn't at all comfortable, which made him 10x as afraid. I saw her do the same thing to a puppy that was afraid of other puppies and people. She forced group interactions no matter how many times that puppy reacted badly and snapped at the other dogs. The poor thing just sat by it's owner shaking and peeing on itself. The "trainer" would then push the thing away from it's owner or put it in the middle of a bunch of rambunctious pups.

She did scruff grabs/alpha role one time on a doberman puppy, even though she claims to be completely positive reinforcement. All around she is a liar and a bad trainer. She will, and has, lied directly to your face to get you to join her class and give her your money! Every class she took the opportunity to try and sell her products.

SO.....she's going to be at a local dog event. Now the question is should I go and warn people? Or just let it be? What would you do?
Old 07-31-2011, 04:35 PM
aussiedoggie

I would be one to warn people, and also right out confront her in front of everyone.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:41 PM
Resident fainting goat

I would just let it be personally. I don't do public confrontation

Just be the change as Ghandi would say lol go to the event, try to educate people on positive reinforcement while there and of course show them your dog and that there IS another way to go about training without all the violence.

and give her a negative review on yelp or google with your honest experience
Old 07-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Top Dog

How do you go and "warn" people?
Are you going to flag people down as they come out of her booth and tell them she's a charlatan? Why should they believe you? What will you bring to the table to counter what this "bad" trainer is doing?

I'm not trying to minimize your feelings BTW, I totally understand wanting to prevent people from experiencing what you did. But you have to ask yourself how you can best be effective. Telling someone a trainer is no good sounds at the best odd coming from a total stranger ya know?
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 07-31-2011, 05:15 PM
treehugging clicker freak

If I knew people who were going to the event, I would warn them. For example, of my co-worker was going and taking her dog, I'd let her know my experience what happened. But I don't do confrontations, especially publicly.

Then again, if I went to the event, and SAW said "trainer" alpha rolling dogs - you bet I'd be running my mouth! But it sounds like she'd never do that at an event like this... would scare away potential customers.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-31-2011, 05:24 PM
Felurian

I don't think you can "make" a confrontation and accomplish anything other than making her look like the victim of some personal vendetta and garnering sympathy, but if an opportunity presents itself then go ahead and relate your experience. All it takes is one or two people to spread it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-31-2011, 08:12 PM
On second thought...

If she addresses you I would speak loudly, but calmly. Don't turn it into a screeching match or people may think she's the victim.

Honestly, if it were me I would consider making a website. Even a simple one page one detailing what she did, and what it did to Art. But, I don't know much about the law and if she would/could sue you.

I think Dekka was going to troll Brad Pattison at a convention when this happened:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
One of the BC rescue people flat out refused when he went to take her dog. He kind of sneared and asked why, she said loudly "I don't want my dog to get hit"
I think that is an appropriate response. You could say "I don't want my dog traumatized by your highly confrontational and outdated methods."

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.