Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-26-2005, 09:40 PM
Playful Husky Pup

My sister has a 8 year old female Maltese named Baby Doll and they name says it all. She's a very sweet and great with her two boys and their other dog a Boxer/Staffie cross named Jordan. I think the thing I hear the best about her other then her sweet temperment is that she doesent shed and her fur is so soft and silky. But its only because my sister grooms her twice a day so she doesent get matted and her ear hair get tweezed also it doesent seem to bother her anymore. She is a sweet dog though.
Old 01-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

I love malteses but never got one yet. I was debating a maltese and yorkie. Maybe next dog will be a maltese. hehe
Old 01-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Andy

i really want another maltese. and yes roxy was the softest thing ever. i would sometimes hide her into bed just so i can sleep with something soft. and thank you all for the information, keep them coming. pro, no she didnt use any powder and it seems like she never have because before she started pulling she said that roxy will cry a little and it will cause her a little paint. but, wow! that was not little. she just grabbed all the hair she can get with the hemostat and just yanked it out. i could hear the hair come out too. sounded like a carpet being ripped or something. and this finger pulling thing. you can do this at home? just get the ear powder? and do i have to pull pretty hard?

also if i get a maltese and trim it down ocassionally to make its hair shorter, will it affect it in anyway? i want to know bout clipping and trimming too.

thanks you guys.
Old 01-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Talking The rest of the profile. (Excluding the History.)

Ok, here is the rest of the info:

PHYSICAL FEATURES
He stands about 8in and wighs 4-7lbs. Larger individuals are common; though not suitable for the show ring, they make sturdy pets. Smaller individuals are often not sound or healthy. His straight, silky coat should be brushed and combed every day. Pet owners may choose to have the coat trimmed/clipped short every four to six weeks. Keep his ear canals clean and dry and his bottom trimmed for cleanliness. He should be solis white, but may have light tan or lemon shadings on his ears. His ears and tail are natural.

HEALTH ISSUES
Both parents should be screened for luxuation patella and low thyroid. Also ask about eye problems, liver shunt, and white shaker dog syndrome in the lines. Check parents' teeth for soundness - poor teethe run through some lines. He is sensitive to anesthetics and should never be casually medicated or sedated. Individuals under four pounds (often called extreme tinies) are more susceptible to hypoglycemia (low blood sugar.) Lifespan: 13 - 15 years.

CAUTIONS WHEN BUYING
Other breeds in the bichon family include the Bichon Frise, Bolognese, Coton de Tulear, and the Havanese. If you're not going to keep the coat trimmed or clipped, a daily commitment to gromming is a must. Look for confident, outgoing lines with healthy teeth. Run from breeders who use the term "teaup" and/or who place their puppies before ten to twelve weeks of age.
Old 01-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Andy

awesome thanks rose.

oh yeah i just remembered this one. it is really hard to explain. if youve ever been to the dentist and seen one of those models of the teeth and the clear rubber gums, model thingy. well basically roxy's teeth were really really wriggly. i dont know how but her gums were like rubber. all of her teeth were like this. you can hold her teeth and wriggel it back and forth and her gum moves when you do that too. it didnt seem like it was hurting her but i know she lost 2 teeth. im pretty sure thats normal that dogs lose teeth but im not sure if they fell out because theyre supposed to or if because they were all really loose. she was teething also, btw.

do you know what was wrong? i showed my aunt before handing roxy over and my aunt had a "eww thats nasty" face on her face and she said she felt bad for her and said that she will get it checked out. but i havent heard from her abou tthat yet
Old 02-01-2005, 01:57 PM
Active Pup

Default Maltese

Hello all! I have had dogs all my life - just love them!

Right now, my partner & I have a female, spayed, short-haired tabby and we're getting a male maltese in March. We are trying to learn all we can about the Maltese and also about how to introduce the cat & dog. Any suggestions would be appreciated!