Maddie vibes, please? :/

JessLough

Love My Mutt
((((hugs))))

My poor Maddie :( Gimme a text and let me know how she is doing/what the vet says, would ya?

I would also see if there is an alternative to Pred you can give her (I know Diazoxide is one, but I know that is $$$ there). Putting an animal on pred that already has a compromised immune always gives me the shudders, and I know how much you want to avoid it.

smkie

pointer/labrador/terrier
I am so sorry Maddie for all your itchy miserableness. Vibes for great relief and speedy healing. If your not already maybe there is something out there that could boost her immune system and give her more fight. Wish I knew something right off that would make a difference but I don't.

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
=< Oh no... I was just thinking about Maddie the other day and hoping she was feeling better... (((((VIBES)))))) for something good at the vet.

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
oh nooooo! I hope the vet can give her something to help ease this. I had a dog who had skin allergies--it took us a long time to get it under control--those secondary infections are tough. She was a spaniel mix.

Brattina88

Have I mentioned I am SOOOOOO emotional this week??? :eek:

I almost cried. :eek:

disclaimer - My Vet and go waaaay back. Have I mentioned I love him? I can remember when I was really little and he would have me listen with his stethoscope and all that :D *reminiscing* Lots of fosters, ups and downs, about 9 years of Maddie ;) etc etc

......... So, he walks in and says "Oh, what the Hell Maddie." :rofl1:

3-4 weeks ago she was in for full blood work and they WROTE on her chart that she looked, and I quote (he showed me) "Skin-fantastic"

BUT this has worked completely to my advantage, as we know exactly what the problem is. It's the wheat she got into, and that's it!
He did a skin scraping, and said that I've absolutely kept the infections at bay... And then he started in on how he wished all owners were as pro-active, and because I was, we know "exactly" what to do, and what is wrong, and that I hardly needed a "vet", Maddie's lucky to have me and all that.

And it took everything I had not to cry :eek:

So then he says "That's the last complement you'll ever get from me" ... So then I laughed :p And he went on to say that he wishes all of his Cockers were in as good of health as Maddie... and I was like, are you crazy?! She's half bald?! And he shot me a look and said I ought to know better, because of the cockers that I've fostered/transported/brought in.

*takes deep breath*

I'm to continue what I'm doing, and give the pred for two days, and wean off (unless there is NO change at all, but that will not happen). Up the benedryl, probiotics, down pretty much everything else gradually... they won't be needed if it doesn't get all infected.
She's been getting medicated baths every other day. I'm supposed to just rinse her with luke-cool water every other-every other day :eek: to help the itchy scabbies come off.

The food-reaction is why it is literally from her face to her tail, not a major infection like I thought (apparently due to me being 'proactive')
So then I had to look at a bunch of gibberish vet talk and hear a story (he was SO excited to tell me about LOL) about a trial that Ohio State did about food allergies that was ruined by someone dropping a hot dog that the dog got into, and then set them back 4 weeks. Yep... it could take 4 weeks for Maddie to get over this :eek:

But "most likely, knowing Maddie, not" . And from here on out, absolutely NO WHEAT.

*is hopeful* :)

Baxter'smybaby

swimming upstream
well that is good news all in all--and it's great that your vet recognizes what a good pet owner you are. Pat yourself on the back--and keep working on getting Maddie back to fantastic skin!

Brattina88

Ohh... she is feeling better this morning! Back to her antics... walks will not be an option anymore :eek:
Now if she only *looked* as good as she's acting ;) We'd be all good! Fingers crossed that she continues to feel better!

Thanks so much for all of your kind words, and support <3

Members online

No members online now.