Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-27-2011, 12:23 PM
Top Dog

I watched one couple of years back. I thought the owners were always really sweet with their dogs and the dogs were very loved. I frequently refer to Delgado as "slow" or "oblivious" but I don't love him any less for it. It seems like a pretty friendly, laid back competition. I doubt anyone is going to purposefully go out and breed/purchase an ugly dog just to compete, so I don't see the harm. Some of the dogs do look like they need some vet care though. It would be nice to know that all of the dogs had a clean bill of health or something.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
I don't know. I always take it as a celebration of all dogs . . . even the ugly ones. The winners almost always seem to be strays and rescues, and well loved at that.

I think its a good idea to have the idea raised in peoples minds that even ugly dogs are worthwhile . . . and that its possible to be so ugly that you're cute.
I agree with this....

except, I remember reading about one of these contest where the winner was being bred to produce more ugly dog winners...that is disturbing for sure
Old 06-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I agree with this....

except, I remember reading about one of these contest where the winner was being bred to produce more ugly dog winners...that is disturbing for sure
They should have a must be spayed/neutered rule. If the dog is that ugly, for whatever reason, it should NOT be bred.

But the real problem in that case is that the owners were morons . . . you can't really hold the contest responsible for that level of idiocy. However, they should institute a spay neuter rule to prevent it from happening again.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 06-27-2011, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

Oh definitely...I actually meant to add to my statement...that is not the fault of the contest however
Old 06-27-2011, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't know. I always take it as a celebration of all dogs . . . even the ugly ones. The winners almost always seem to be strays and rescues, and well loved at that.

I think its a good idea to have the idea raised in peoples minds that even ugly dogs are worthwhile . . . and that its possible to be so ugly that you're cute.
Agreed 100%. In this beauty obsessed society, this contest just gives light to dogs who arent as lucky to be bless with a natural look.

Most of these dogs have deformities, some wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for constant vet treatment. A lot of these dogs are from animal shelters so it isn't out of the line to say that these dogs were born from bad breeding practices.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:33 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:

This is what I've always thought about the contest. The one old crested that kept winning over and over until he passed away was pretty awesome. You could even buy a calender with his pictures in it, which I thought was pretty rad. Otherwise, who would think of hanging pictures of a super ugly dog on their wall?
Old 06-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Lucille was a rescue dog who by the sounds of it has really landed on her feet.

I just feel all WTF about pee wee martini.............................. That is one ugly dog.

The comp doesn't bother me. I love all their weird crinkly faces only a mother could love

And yeah, if you read, most are rejects and rescues... bless them.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Sit! Good dog.

omg I just found more pics of him...... He needs a medal!

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 06-27-2011, 05:18 PM
On second thought...

Is that a tattoo meaning Pee Wee Martini?!!!

Somebody loves their dog.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.