Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
I definitely don't mind the travel, but I'm wondering if there would be any special rules as far as bringing dogs across the border?
I have had several dogs/puppies driven across the border. They need a rabies certificate if they are over 12 weeks -- otherwise, no issues! I've heard of the border guards opening the vechicle to look at the dog etc, but it's never happened to me or my new puppy owners. They've never even peered through the window of my vehicle when I've driven them down. So no worries there!
Old 06-14-2011, 12:35 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

First, I've gotta say I'm having serious puppy fever right now! Well, I've had BC puppy fever for months now, but this week has been bad! I think it's looking at all the website and puppy pics >_<

I'm also struggling with my decision to go the breeder route and not a rescue. I've always rescued, I know there are wonderful dogs in rescues dying because they can't find a home. And this makes me feel so terribly guilty. I keep thinking that if I just get a rescue this time, I can get my border collie puppy later down the line, but then I feel cheated as I've wanted this puppy for years. *sigh* I just wish I could get a puppy without feeling so darn guilty about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
Importing means you likely need to pay taxes, duty, possibly extra fees if flown rather than driven. It's based on the value of the dog.. You could lie if the value is high, but if you are caught you could pay 25-80% of the dogs value potentially on top of the fees you were already going to pay.. may not be worth it..

I got hosed with a few random fees not by customs, those fees were low, but by the airline.. they wouldn't explain them to me and held Smudge hostage. It was a terrible experience where they also claimed I assaulted them cause I dropped the debit machine...

Under a certain age they do not need rabies to cross the border, I think it's three months. To make my life easier I had Smudge done before he left as he was 14 weeks.

Importing itself wasn't a hassle really, it was the stupid stuff that happened, including the airline cancelling his connecting flight and not removing him from the plane and the fight that ensued as my breeder demanded he be shipped back as he would be stuck for multiple days in NJ as there were no connecting flights after they cancelled his..

Things that shouldn't really happen were the hassle..
Gosh, what a terrible experience! I am not really a big fan of flying (eek) so I'd likely drive there and back! I think I'll keep cross border options open for now, and pick breeders based off how I like each individual one. Then pick my top breeders and narrow it down based off location at the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
Lots of us do it Maf's Smudge was born in the US, as were Dash and Bounce. Wash was born here and now lives with Xpeanx in the US. They need rabies to cross the border, and to be legal you have to declare the puppy and pay extra $$ (though sometimes not much, it depends on the value of the puppy)
As far as "declare the puppy" do you mean to just let the border patrol know that you are carrying a puppy back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquityBelgians View Post
I have had several dogs/puppies driven across the border. They need a rabies certificate if they are over 12 weeks -- otherwise, no issues! I've heard of the border guards opening the vechicle to look at the dog etc, but it's never happened to me or my new puppy owners. They've never even peered through the window of my vehicle when I've driven them down. So no worries there!
awesome!
Old 06-14-2011, 03:32 PM
Water Junkie

Why would you wait to get the dog you wanted? I don't really understand that.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 06-14-2011, 04:35 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

When you cross, you are supposed to declare anything of value you are bringing back. Wouldn't matter if it's jewellery or a puppy.. You could try to lie.. hope they don't ask about it.. but if they think you are lying there's multiple terrible things that could happen, minor being fines though they could end up being steep, major being they seize the property (dog). And you may not be getting it back..

You might slip under the radar, but if you don't..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 06-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Why would you wait to get the dog you wanted? I don't really understand that.
Because there's always a dog that I get told about by friends who still volunteer at the HS here that tell me "She needs a home now! sweetest this" "cutest that" "best personality" "would be perfect for agility" etc and I feel bad for saying no and then go looking for a puppy I want to get from a breeder.

Basically, I've never went looking for a breeder to get one of my dogs. I've always rescued. It's just, this breed, this puppy, is just one that I don't want to take the chance for. I mean, if I found the perfect border collie in rescue I wouldn't put up a fight, but I really wanted a puppy this time. *sigh* This is just a hard decision for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MafiaPrincess View Post
When you cross, you are supposed to declare anything of value you are bringing back. Wouldn't matter if it's jewellery or a puppy.. You could try to lie.. hope they don't ask about it.. but if they think you are lying there's multiple terrible things that could happen, minor being fines though they could end up being steep, major being they seize the property (dog). And you may not be getting it back..

You might slip under the radar, but if you don't..
I wouldn't even want to risk it honestly. It's just not worth the risk! I'll go legal all the way lol
Old 06-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Water Junkie

Well, what are your plans for this dog? Pet, dabbling, serious competition? Do you just want a pet with a great temperment? Would you like to have a breeder to talk to? Do you want to know the history of your pup, for medical and just knowing sake? Do you want a pup or an adult?

Maybe narrowing that down, and figure out how important those things are, will help you decide which is best.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l