Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 06-13-2011, 09:46 AM
Big Dog

Honestly I think the risks outweigh the benefits -- however it's best that Joe Blow public doesn't know that. I do keep it in my contract that my puppies need to wait atleast 18 months before being altered to allow the growth plates to close etc (OR they can have a partial spay/neuter to keep the hormones intact).. At this point, a Belgian female will only have gone through one heat. I don't actually stipulate that it must be done, because I don't believe it's the healthiest choice for the dog and I can understand why others, like me, can believe in a more natural route; I allow the owner to decide. Hence why I only choose owners who I believe are VERY well educated and have a great deal of experience (so far the majority of my puppies go to other breeders anyways).

But, contradictory to what I believe in, I likely would spay the majority of my non-breeding/retired females. Sure I can deal with the hormones because I am forced to while they are breeding dogs, but I don't WANT to LOL. Visa is getting spayed next year because she has alot of annoying habits that I believe are related to her seasons.

There are some really good options out there though for people who want to keep the hormones intact for better health but don't want to risk pregnancy; A partial spay/neuter (removal of the uterus but not the ovaries, or visectomy without the removal of the testicles) are such a way of doing this. This is the 'normal' way of female spaying in Europe and always has been. It's been in Canada for many years now too, and only just becoming recognised in the US. Or if you want to avoid spay incontinence, you can remove the ovaries but actually leave in the uterus (that's what I'll be doing with Visa because I want her hormones bye-bye but I don't want to risk incontinence). Because pyometra is typically hormone-induced there is virtually no risk of pyo forming in the uterus when the ovaries (hormone producers) are gone.
And of course there are now shots you can give them, but I haven't bothered to do the research to see if those are safe (the idea sounds scary to me). I know a male Belgian that gets a yearly shot so that he won't breed; I don't know if it "turns off" the hormones (he's a SAR dog so I can see why they'd like that) for a certain amount of time (they did say he could be used for stud when the shot "wears off"). Not sure!
Old 06-14-2011, 07:13 AM
Top Dog

As long as you don't have an intact male at home and are willing and able to supervise your dog outside, it is best to wait until maturity before you spay your dog.

My understanding was that leaving the uterus does not decrease the risk of spay incontinence, as it is hormone related. It is simply a less invasive spay. The shot thing with the male sounds...weird!
Old 06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post

My understanding was that leaving the uterus does not decrease the risk of spay incontinence, as it is hormone related. It is simply a less invasive spay. The shot thing with the male sounds...weird!
My vet says that the uterus supports the bladder -- but you could be right too, I'm not sure.