Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 05-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Top Dog

Great thread! And what a great job with Duke!
I too am a "crossover", and am STILL in awe of how much more I am able to accomplish with clicker/marker training.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 05-05-2011, 06:32 AM
PupDogTraining

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayla View Post
Feel free to pass it along. I understand where you are coming from, at the end of the day passing along info is really all we can do and from there we just need to allow people to make their own choices. Once someone is interested then doing a quick demonstration of shaping is usually a pretty interesting experience for an individual who has never witnessed a shaping session before with a clicker savvy dog. If you do pass it on, I realize that there are some mix-ups with grammar which is my fault because I start typing, get excited, rush through and forget to edit so that's something I'm going to need to start being more vigilant about. Unfortunately I don't see an edit button anymore now that I've posted it, so I'm not sure if it's fixable at this point.

Kayla and Duke
Hi Kayla,

Will surely pass this along Kayla. This kind of info is worth to relay...

Best,

Shiela
Old 05-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikky05v View Post
Where is a good place to get a clicker, I live in a rural town. Walmart maybe or tractor supply? How does this work out if you have 2 dogs in training? Do you use clicker for one whistle for the other?
I've seen clickers at Walmart and Tractor Supply, though not every store carries them. You can order them online at Karen Pryor Clickertraining.

If you have two dogs, just train one at a time. The clicker should only be used to teach the behavior; once the dog understands how to do the behavior, you shouldn't need it anymore. For example, if I use the clicker to teach my dog down, I'll start by clicking him for laying down. Once he gets that figured out (laying down = click/treat), and I add the cue ("down" + laying down = click/treat), then I shouldn't have to use the clicker anymore.

So in that beginning stage of training, just teach one dog at a time; put the other in a separate room or in a crate. Then once they learn the behaviors and you get to the point where you don't need a clicker anymore, you can start working the two dogs together.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:08 PM
On second thought...

I'm not sure if you'll know the answer to this or not, but I have two clickers (same kind) and on the back there is a piece that slides with notches, as though to select different clicks, or as though it will alter the sound. I can't tell the difference, but maybe my dog can?

Since I have two dogs, having clickers that make two different distinct sounds would be helpful.

Back of a Clicker for Marker Training. by alika613, on Flickr

Any ideas?
Old 05-21-2011, 07:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliciaD View Post
I'm not sure if you'll know the answer to this or not, but I have two clickers (same kind) and on the back there is a piece that slides with notches, as though to select different clicks, or as though it will alter the sound. I can't tell the difference, but maybe my dog can?

Since I have two dogs, having clickers that make two different distinct sounds would be helpful.

Any ideas?
The button on the back is supposed to change the volume of the clicker. IME, it doesn't work.

There are clickers that make different sounds if that's what you really want.

But, I train multiple dogs with the same clicker and have discovered that if you do it right, it doesn't matter much.

Basically, you only need the clicker for the beginning stages of training, for teaching the dog how to do the behavior. Once he knows how to do it and what the cue is, you shouldn't need the clicker anymore.

In those beginning stages of training, you shouldn't train two dogs at once anyway, because you should be focusing on your dog, ready to click at just the right time. Also it's usually too distracting for the dogs to have another dog training with them at the same time; the dog should be focusing on his behavior just as much as you are.

It also doesn't matter if the dog you're not training with can see/hear you training with the other dog. They can learn that just because you're training one dog doesn't mean you're training both dogs.

So basically, if you're clicker training two dogs, you should do it while the dogs are separated. You can train them together when you get to the point where you don't need the clicker anymore.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:15 PM
On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post
So basically, if you're clicker training two dogs, you should do it while the dogs are separated. You can train them together when you get to the point where you don't need the clicker anymore.
Thanks. I wanted to use it to mark those brief moments when my dogs stop barking at the trash guys, mail man, etc. I think I'll try having one dog put away, and ask a friend to come over to practice. I was hoping I could do it as the moment comes, but with two dogs it would be too hard.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 AM
Active Pup

Here is a video that will be helpful to check if your clicker
technique needs tweaking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBObkR4ZUNY