Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-16-2011, 02:34 PM
Behavior Nerd

Default For those thinking about a malinois...

this article is a must read IMO.

Note to the American Public: Belgian Malinois, Look Donít Touch

My favorite quote:
"The Malinois Handler derives his joy from witnessing an animal engaged in the hunt, an animal at the peak of his health and power. We do not wish to see a subservient animal weakened by human domination. Ringsport and Malinois allow us to take part in the predators epic journey, not as spectators, not from behind a lens but as an equal partner."
^Very true.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Kat/Oak AKA The Nice One

This makes me want one still. I keep on telling myself its stupid. But I know I will wait 15 or so years at least, and hopefully get a lot of hands on experience with the breed.

They sound so perfect for me, not at this time in my life, but once I'm settled
The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things, but vice-versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:43 PM
Addicted to Agility

I really would love to own this breed one day but I know its going to be way in the future, I know I'm not ready for one but I love reading as much as I can about them.

Amazing fleece braided leashes, toys and more!
www.rushtotug.com
Old 05-16-2011, 08:55 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I'd love a Mal. They're so much lighter boned than GSDs these days, but the lack of off switch is off putting.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I'd love a Mal. They're so much lighter boned than GSDs these days, but the lack of off switch is off putting.
Honestly, they aren't all like that and IMO they really shouldn't be. Some breeders are so focused on breeding Mals for sport dogs that they don't seem to care if they are good Mals or not. Some of them you can't hardly tell if they are purebred Mals (and some of them aren't LOL). It's sad that people say they have the breed for sport only and really can't stand them. Or breeders who can't imagine anyone keeping one of their dogs in the house. That sort of temperament is an exaggeration that has been selected for in more recent times for high level sport dogs, not necessarily proper temperament for a Malinios. There are breeders out there selecting for a versatile Mal that people can actually live with. Are they a dog for everyone? No but no breed is. Belgians of all sorts need lots of early socialization, ongoing training, interaction and plenty of physical and mental outlets. But there is no reason in the world a Mal with a correct temperament can't be good at "doing stuff" and also be a dog that you can live with.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:52 PM
Big Dog

This is actually a pretty terrible article. On the Belgian list I'm on, it has taken alot of criticism. Sure there are idiots out there who breed malinois who bounce off the walls, have no off switch, and are nothing more than frothing-at-the-mouth biting machines. However this is NOT the norm.
It says right there in the article "malinois do not make good pets." How can this be true? There are mal owners on this board; Do your dogs make terrible pets? Obviously not ir you wouldn't have one.
This article was meant to deter the wrong kind of people from owning mals. However, all it's succeeded in doing is confirming to those 'wrong types' that this is the type of dog they want/need. Alot of the 'right types' are looking at this article thinking "Geez, too bad they don't make good pets," and now the thousands of malinois in shelters all over North America will suffer.
A malinois was bred first and foremost to be a herding dog; They weren't created for protection sport. These dogs should be able to do a variety of things, but even as a protection sport dog SHOULD be able to, at the end of the day, be a therapy dog for sick kids in the hospital (without needing 2+ hours of training per day).
In my own experience -- I don't get to meet alot of mals, but I must say I have NEVER met a high drive mal in my life. They've all been low key, low/medium energy dogs. I met one very fear aggressive mal. Other than that one, they've all been alot less challenging than my own groens. Easier to handle, less drive of all sorts. Easy dogs. This may not be the 'norm' but it goes to show that this article is just plain wrong. There are mals out there in shelters who were purchased by people who WANT a crazy omg high drive dog that will attack people, and they turned out to be low key happy friendly dogs who need a nice family (and just the opposite too -- people who wanted low key dogs who turned out to be too driven and energetic). Hopefully this article won't deter anyone from looking at these dogs -- they really DO make great pets for the right owners (like ANY breed!).
Old 05-24-2011, 07:06 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquityBelgians View Post
Do your dogs make terrible pets? Obviously not ir you wouldn't have one.
Actually yes. They do. I still own them because they are such an amazing joy and pleasure to work with.

This article has caused a lot of controversy. I love it actually and believe that malinois should maintain a high drive, over the top manner. I love my malinois and their lack of chill out. As the get older they get a bit easier but the reality of it is they will never be like my pit bulls and my staffordshire or my rat terrier or my wheaten terrier. They are over the top excited, love to work and have stamina to go for hours. My apbt love to work, lack the stamina and lack the enthusiasm and act now think later that makes malinois such ideal working dogs.

Its okay to not be a good pet. At least it is for me.

I am sorry you have met such crumby malinois, that is depressing. There are malinois out there that work fine as pets but it is unfair to a breed to take the exceptions and expect a well bred puppy to act as such.

The truth is that is like buying an APBT and saying, "Well some are great with other dogs and to say they are usually DA is damaging to the plight of shelter bullies everywhere." In the end anyone adopting or buying a bully with hopes of it being a lab in its affections of strange dogs is setting their dog up for failure. You can use this analogy for terriers as well, just because some terriers work wonderfully with small furry critters it is irresponsible to recommend a terrier to a rabbit breeder.

I know a ovtcharka who is a bum and can be paraded through a pet fair like any leonberger, is it fair to say to someone interested in the breed that this is the norm?

Francis is exceedingly well versed in sports, training and malinois. I applaud the article. It has it's issues but every piece of literature does, over all it paints a valid picture of the breed ime. My only issue with it is it may come across as a mild challenge to the machismo dog people looking to concur another toughie.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:18 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniquityBelgians View Post
This is actually a pretty terrible article. On the Belgian list I'm on, it has taken alot of criticism. Sure there are idiots out there who breed malinois who bounce off the walls, have no off switch, and are nothing more than frothing-at-the-mouth biting machines. However this is NOT the norm.
It says right there in the article "malinois do not make good pets." How can this be true? There are mal owners on this board; Do your dogs make terrible pets? Obviously not ir you wouldn't have one.

To be honest, mine (RIP) was a terrible pet, and pretty much embodied the article. It really varies from line to line. But sadly, it's the working lines that are showing up in the hands of unethical breeders, and as a result, these are the dogs that are likely going to be sold to people that have no interest owning the breed.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:49 PM
BusterLove

I still love the sound of them.

The thing I love most about BC's is their drive, there have been so many moments with Quinn that have made me catch my breathe when watching her, its just this sudden intensity and extreme drive that puts BC's on a whole new level for me, and she's only 12 months old.

Ofcourse atm the other part I love about Border's is their soft personality and I have no plan on a Malinois anytime soon (atleast 10 years away) while I gain more experience and decide whether or not I could handle a hard dog like that.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

in the hands of an average owner, yes, they make terrible pets. They do bounce off walls, they don't have an off switch, because they never have an outlet, they're reactive and nervy generally as a breed anyway, put that into an average home and they're nothing but a liability and pain, not a pet.