Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 03-31-2011, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

Angry Pit Bull beheaded on walking trail

MARSHALLTOWN, Iowa -- A dog was found beheaded on a walking trail near the Iowa River in Marshalltown.

Heidi Drager with the Marshalltown Animal Rescue League said the dog was a pit bull less than 6 months old.

The dog's body was found lying in the branches, and hatch marks and blood spatter were found on a log nearby. Drager said a machete or an axe was used to kill the dog. Its head is still missing.

"(We're) trying to find some information out from the community if anybody knows who might have done this, so we can get some answers for this dog," Drager said.

The Marshalltown Animal Rescue League phone number is 641-753-9046.

Video at link:
Pit Bull Beheaded On Walking Trail - Des Moines News Story - KCCI Des Moines
Old 03-31-2011, 10:24 AM
Top Dog

I know that "pit bulls" are uber common. But I really do believe that B.S.L., the media, and the hysteria around these "evil, vicious, child-eating dogs that will bite your leg off in one bite" is a large part to blame for the increase in abuse and torture and killings of these dogs.

Thank you news media. Keep up the good work.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:32 AM
Like a bat outa' hell

That is just so sad and disturbing. I dont understand how people can do that to a living creature. They must be sick and twisted.

But I totally agree with you Mia, Its a sad and twisted truth. Oneday I hope to rescue a Pit Bull and be a postive and responsible advocate for the breed.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 03-31-2011, 11:11 AM
Arbitrary and Capricious

BSL might be part of it, but the popularity of the breed in certain circles also leads to this, I'm afraid. Although most pit bull owners are wonderful people, there are some unsavory segments of society that think its just the height of fashion to have one . . . and these are the same segments that think that beheading dogs, starving dogs and setting dogs on fire are something other than utterly unacceptable behavior.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 03-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Top Dog

Lil, that's why I mentioned their popularity. When those lists of the top 10 most popular dogs and whatnot come out, they only use AKC registered breeds. Only the AmStaff, just one of the "pit bull" breeds, is recognized through them. I found the info once (and need to do it again), but taking into account the ADBA registration numbers, the AKC AST numbers, the UKC AST and APBT numbers, well, the popularity of "pit bulls" faaaaar outnumbered that of the Labrador Retriever. And of course that doesn't take into account of the ones not-registered and all the ones that fit it under merely the "pit bull" general description. I reall do feel that the "pit bull" is the #1 breed/type of dog in America. I feel that the Lab is a far second.