Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 12-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Active Pup

Default Interested in becoming a groomer

Hi,

I'm 33 and recently became interested in becoming a groomer. I'm looking for the best avenue to get certified, preferably in the comfort of my own home. I'm looking for a little guidance to hopefully avoid any pitfalls or scams. Thanks!

Phil
Old 12-08-2010, 10:10 AM
*Now with Snark*

The best way imo is to apprentice under someone else. Most of the DIY home study things are scams. Grooming is something where you really should learn while doing.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM
Active Pup

Thanks for your reply. So you recommend learning under someone and then taking the test to get certified?
Old 12-12-2010, 11:22 PM
Active Pup

Slow around here
Old 12-13-2010, 12:15 AM
Twin 2.0

It's a weekend leading up to a major holiday, everyone is out doing stuff. You should see it most of the time, it's hard to keep up.

I second what Kat said, go find someone to apprentice under. It's a much better way to learn and you'll have hands on experience, so you can truly find out what it's like as a job and if it really is something you want to do. It does involve long hours on your feet, bending, picking up heavy objects, leaning over a tub, bitchy clients, biting dogs and carpal tunnel syndrome if you're in the industry long enough. On the plus side, it's a pretty fun job, you're working with dogs and many groomers form terrific relationships with their long-term customers that can be very rewarding, in any sense.

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:48 PM
Puppy Dog

Definately apprantice under someone. As a groomer myself there is no way I could learn what I have by myself. Supposely I am certified, but my certificate is one that I could print myself off of the computer. I work for myself now, but when looking for jobs prior I was never asked if i was certified, they wanted referances and to see what I could do, usually like a grooming audition. Its best to learn at a place that has more than one groomer as everyone has their own tips and techniques that might suite you better. From what i have found most groomers that are willing to teach will want you to eventually work in their shop.
Old 03-29-2011, 09:56 PM
Big Dog

I would highly recommend apprenticing as well. I've been a groomer for 6 years. It's impossible to be a good groomer without ALOT of hands-on experience. It's amazing how many people don't actually know how to bathe a dog properly, or know how to tell if a dog is dry, or know which way to blowdry a dog's hair. You need to learn how to use your scissors as an instrument (you'll never use scissors the same way again). You need to learn ways to hold the dogs properly. What's safe and what's dangerous, etc. An online course just can't tell you anything about grooming. It's something you need to feel and experience (and it's most certainly not for everyone).

As for certification, the only way to TECHNICALLY be certified is to perform an exam in front of a panel of certified judges (You groom 2 or 3 dogs for them, I can't remember the details). Most groomers will call themselves "certified" after taking a course, but that isn't technically the case. They are certified from a course, but not certified groomers. Really becoming certified is pointless, it's easy, it doesn't prove you're a good groomer, it just makes you sound good, but you can just as easily lie and say you're certified so I don't see the point.

I'd just call different groomers in your area and see if any offer a grooming course or apprenticeship.