Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 12-10-2010, 08:18 AM
Active Pup

Default Recommend Clippers

I have two Goldens and would like to take a more active role in grooming them (not for show, just for the house).

Can you please recommend what clippers to buy to trim paws, etc.?

Andis seems like a good place...but the prices are...gulp...a lot. Still, I want to to get a quality bit of equipment...so, maybe that's right. Can't see dropping $300 though.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Bob
Old 03-15-2011, 03:51 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I second the andis recommendation

The problem with cheaper sets (like the cheap kits you can buy at walmart or whatever) is they die fast, or the blades get dull and they're not replaceable blades like the andis or oster... so in the long run, if you buy a decent (more expensive) one early on, you'll actually save money
Try looking on petedge.com, I got mine from there and I think I got a pretty good deal

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 03-15-2011, 04:58 PM
Are you dead yet?

I third the suggestion of Andis. They'll last forever if you take good care of them. Also, I don't know where you got the price of $300. Petedge and Ryan's sell them for around $120. Expensive, but a worthwhile investment if you have heavily coated dogs like Goldens.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:02 PM
*Now with Snark*

A decent set of Andis can be found on ebay for under $100. Worth every penny. Then I would get a 4FC blade for those feet tidy jobs. Otherwise a pair of thinning shears and a set of straight shears and a good good undercoat rake or long toothed comb is really the majority of what I used on goldens.
Old 03-29-2011, 07:55 PM
Puppy Dog

Ill back up the andis, just stay away from cordless models especially the power groom. I am a groomer and my andis clippers usually last me nearly 2 years on average, but that is being used nearly 6 hours 5 days a week. not to mention kicked of the table by hyper dogs. the AGCs are great quiet, not much vibration, very low maintenance. I have the two speed but the single would be good for what you want and they are slightly cheaper.