Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Saeleofu Saeleofu is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,036
Default

What I take it to mean is that overall, 3.4% get it. Of those that are spayed early, 0.5% get it. Of those that are spayed after one cycle, 8% get it, and of those that are spayed after the 2nd cycle or later or are not spayed, 26% get it. I would assume it would all average out to 3.4%
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Upendi&Mina's Avatar
Upendi&Mina Upendi&Mina is offline
Mainstreme Elitist
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Wonderland
Posts: 2,517
Default

Is there any way someone can post a text version of this for me? My computer won't open .pdf files.
__________________


My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM
D'tailsDogGrooming's Avatar
D'tailsDogGrooming D'tailsDogGrooming is offline
Professional Groomer
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 87
Default

Ditto. Well it would be my phone actually.
__________________
Have questions about grooming? Check out my Blog!
D'tails Dog Grooming Website
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Dog-Training-Outlet Dog-Training-Outlet is offline
Dog-Training-Outlet.com
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: ohio
Posts: 35
Default

Thanks for the posting! It's always good to get the most up to date info so we can make the most informed decision.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Dagny Dagny is offline
Part of the Problem
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Atlanta Area
Posts: 44
Default

The rescue group I work with supports pediatric spay and neuter in both dogs and cats. The link below is not from my group, but has a lot of statements we are in agreement with. Sterilization for rescue animals is our best weapon in combatting overpopulation. If we don't have it done before pets leave our care, the result is the new owners calling us when they have litters. Early spay and neuter is essential in rescue work.

http://www.angelswish.org/documents/SpayNeuterPaper.pdf
__________________
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others." - Ayn Rand
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 AM
dachshunds4me's Avatar
dachshunds4me dachshunds4me is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 574
Default

I knew there was one around!
I've seen too many cases of cancers in intact senior animals we've rescued, and euth'ed way more than should have to be due to that, to leave any of mine intact.
others can do as they wish.
I've seen way too many oops to leave our rescues intact.
It seems more people own dogs that should not these days and most aren't as responsible as folks on the forum.
Read thru Craigslist if you don't believe that, or volunteer or just visit your local kill shelter.
People who adopt from us appreciate that their pet is already altered. If they prefer to wait they can adopt from someone else, that simple.

Last edited by dachshunds4me; 02-28-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
dachshunds4me's Avatar
dachshunds4me dachshunds4me is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 574
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny View Post
The rescue group I work with supports pediatric spay and neuter in both dogs and cats. The link below is not from my group, but has a lot of statements we are in agreement with. Sterilization for rescue animals is our best weapon in combatting overpopulation. If we don't have it done before pets leave our care, the result is the new owners calling us when they have litters. Early spay and neuter is essential in rescue work.

http://www.angelswish.org/documents/SpayNeuterPaper.pdf
I work with a small rural kill shelter north of here. They try to alter everything that leaves but many times they can't get the dog in for the surgery, etc.
Then the dog leaves on a contract to spay/neuter.

Well I can't tell you how many times I've been to that shelter when they have a returned female that is preg. and has had a litter. Or just got done nursing a litter - I rescued one in fact that had been returned after all the puppies had been given away.

To top it off they don't perform spay/aborts so they always have 2-3 runs of preg. mamas or nursing mamas.

The notion that people are responsible pet owners who can prevent unwanted litters is really far from reality. Take off the rose colored glasses

**I wanted to add that males in particular are very tough to adopt out right now. The reason is that many people believe they "mark" or lift their leg in the house. And many do.
And I can tell you from rescue experience that those are the toughest dogs to adopt out. Many times we can avoid those issues by spaying earlier than 6mos. in males, or at least no older than that.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
corgipower's Avatar
corgipower corgipower is offline
Tweleve Enthusiest
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: here
Posts: 8,233
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshunds4me View Post
The notion that people are responsible pet owners who can prevent unwanted litters is really far from reality. Take off the rose colored glasses
I have no rose colored glasses.

I have never said that spay/neuter shouldn't be done with rescues, and I do believe that if someone can't be responsible enough to prevent puppies they shouldn't own an intact dog.

But that doesn't mean I won't advocate for the use of leashes, fences and training. Maybe if more people did that as loudly as they say dogs should be surgically sterilized, the message would actually get somewhere? I have nothing to lose in trying.

But then again, if someone is irresponsible enough that they're dog is running loose creating puppies, or if they're irresponsible enough that should an accident happen they just dump mom and pups at the shelter, then maybe they shouldn't own a dog at all.
__________________
The slayer of all things happy since 2010
Kibble feeder since 1973

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshunds4me View Post
I knew there was one around!
I've seen too many cases of cancers in intact senior animals we've rescued, and euth'ed way more than should have to be due to that, to leave any of mine intact.
Spaying/neutering does not suddenly make cancer go away. Heck, it makes SOME cancers chances very low, but also adds chances of some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshunds4me View Post
The notion that people are responsible pet owners who can prevent unwanted litters is really far from reality. Take off the rose colored glasses
Well ****. Somebody tell Rosey that she was supposed to of had tons of litters by now. Heck, I was SEVEN when I got her, and I still never let that happen.
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
JessLough JessLough is offline
Love My Mutt <3
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Ontario
Posts: 13,181
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I have no rose colored glasses.

I have never said that spay/neuter shouldn't be done with rescues, and I do believe that if someone can't be responsible enough to prevent puppies they shouldn't own an intact dog.

But that doesn't mean I won't advocate for the use of leashes, fences and training. Maybe if more people did that as loudly as they say dogs should be surgically sterilized, the message would actually get somewhere? I have nothing to lose in trying.

But then again, if someone is irresponsible enough that they're dog is running loose creating puppies, or if they're irresponsible enough that should an accident happen they just dump mom and pups at the shelter, then maybe they shouldn't own a dog at all.
ily <3
__________________
Ella: 3 year old female ferret
Nacho: ~8 year old male ferret

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 PM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site