Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-03-2009, 03:36 PM
Top Dog

What I take it to mean is that overall, 3.4% get it. Of those that are spayed early, 0.5% get it. Of those that are spayed after one cycle, 8% get it, and of those that are spayed after the 2nd cycle or later or are not spayed, 26% get it. I would assume it would all average out to 3.4%
Old 11-19-2009, 03:41 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Is there any way someone can post a text version of this for me? My computer won't open .pdf files.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Professional Groomer

Ditto. Well it would be my phone actually.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Dog-Training-Outlet.com

Thanks for the posting! It's always good to get the most up to date info so we can make the most informed decision.
Old 06-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Part of the Problem

The rescue group I work with supports pediatric spay and neuter in both dogs and cats. The link below is not from my group, but has a lot of statements we are in agreement with. Sterilization for rescue animals is our best weapon in combatting overpopulation. If we don't have it done before pets leave our care, the result is the new owners calling us when they have litters. Early spay and neuter is essential in rescue work.

http://www.angelswish.org/documents/SpayNeuterPaper.pdf
Old 02-28-2011, 07:51 AM
Top Dog

I knew there was one around!
I've seen too many cases of cancers in intact senior animals we've rescued, and euth'ed way more than should have to be due to that, to leave any of mine intact.
others can do as they wish.
I've seen way too many oops to leave our rescues intact.
It seems more people own dogs that should not these days and most aren't as responsible as folks on the forum.
Read thru Craigslist if you don't believe that, or volunteer or just visit your local kill shelter.
People who adopt from us appreciate that their pet is already altered. If they prefer to wait they can adopt from someone else, that simple.

Last edited by dachshunds4me; 02-28-2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagny View Post
The rescue group I work with supports pediatric spay and neuter in both dogs and cats. The link below is not from my group, but has a lot of statements we are in agreement with. Sterilization for rescue animals is our best weapon in combatting overpopulation. If we don't have it done before pets leave our care, the result is the new owners calling us when they have litters. Early spay and neuter is essential in rescue work.

http://www.angelswish.org/documents/SpayNeuterPaper.pdf
I work with a small rural kill shelter north of here. They try to alter everything that leaves but many times they can't get the dog in for the surgery, etc.
Then the dog leaves on a contract to spay/neuter.

Well I can't tell you how many times I've been to that shelter when they have a returned female that is preg. and has had a litter. Or just got done nursing a litter - I rescued one in fact that had been returned after all the puppies had been given away.

To top it off they don't perform spay/aborts so they always have 2-3 runs of preg. mamas or nursing mamas.

The notion that people are responsible pet owners who can prevent unwanted litters is really far from reality. Take off the rose colored glasses

**I wanted to add that males in particular are very tough to adopt out right now. The reason is that many people believe they "mark" or lift their leg in the house. And many do.
And I can tell you from rescue experience that those are the toughest dogs to adopt out. Many times we can avoid those issues by spaying earlier than 6mos. in males, or at least no older than that.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by dachshunds4me View Post
The notion that people are responsible pet owners who can prevent unwanted litters is really far from reality. Take off the rose colored glasses
I have no rose colored glasses.

I have never said that spay/neuter shouldn't be done with rescues, and I do believe that if someone can't be responsible enough to prevent puppies they shouldn't own an intact dog.

But that doesn't mean I won't advocate for the use of leashes, fences and training. Maybe if more people did that as loudly as they say dogs should be surgically sterilized, the message would actually get somewhere? I have nothing to lose in trying.

But then again, if someone is irresponsible enough that they're dog is running loose creating puppies, or if they're irresponsible enough that should an accident happen they just dump mom and pups at the shelter, then maybe they shouldn't own a dog at all.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 02-28-2011, 08:33 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
I knew there was one around!
I've seen too many cases of cancers in intact senior animals we've rescued, and euth'ed way more than should have to be due to that, to leave any of mine intact.
Spaying/neutering does not suddenly make cancer go away. Heck, it makes SOME cancers chances very low, but also adds chances of some.

Quote:
Well ****. Somebody tell Rosey that she was supposed to of had tons of litters by now. Heck, I was SEVEN when I got her, and I still never let that happen.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 02-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
I have no rose colored glasses.

I have never said that spay/neuter shouldn't be done with rescues, and I do believe that if someone can't be responsible enough to prevent puppies they shouldn't own an intact dog.

But that doesn't mean I won't advocate for the use of leashes, fences and training. Maybe if more people did that as loudly as they say dogs should be surgically sterilized, the message would actually get somewhere? I have nothing to lose in trying.

But then again, if someone is irresponsible enough that they're dog is running loose creating puppies, or if they're irresponsible enough that should an accident happen they just dump mom and pups at the shelter, then maybe they shouldn't own a dog at all.
ily <3

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13