Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-25-2005, 10:08 PM
user not active

Easy, keep the dog leashed.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:03 AM
Big German Shepherd

Work on a sit/stay or down/stay every day for about 34 days, keep a leash on him, or work on a good recall.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:09 AM
Whitedobelover

well like everyone says practice makes perfect and you will never reach perfection
Old 10-26-2005, 02:41 PM
Happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busta Girl
Hi, I have a 11month old girl Weimaraner named 'Busta'.
But I think out the front of our house its a territoriel thing, as she barks what seems like aggressivley at people but eventually susses them out & its all cool. She will also bolt if she see's a cat which is very frightening. I would really like to have the confidents to check the letterbox through the day & for Busta to come out the front with me, I do fortunetley love on a quiet street. I do obedience with her & she is great in her class, I just would love some tips so I can get this down packed.I also would like to have her controlled in all enviroments as down the track I'm interested in doing TV & performance work with her
Letting Busta off-leash is asking for trouble if she's already a little possessive about her space. That quiet street is not your personal property. You have no right to dominate one section of it by having your large dog at liberty, even for a brief time. You may know that, for now, Busta's aggressive rush fizzes out, but the people and dogs who are being rushed have no way of knowing that. And an 11-month-old dog might very well grow more territorial and aggressive as she goes through the terrible teenage years. The first sign of that might be a serious attack on another dog, or on a person. You don't want that (apart from the obvious altruistic reasons) because a dog-aggressive or human-aggressive dog is much, much harder to deal with.

It's great to work on off-leash training - but it's just that, training. It should not be a casual part of your day, where your dog is free to run off while you check the mail, or whatever. If your dog is unleashed and unfenced, you need to be working her, not attending to chores or enjoying the air.
Old 10-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

take busta off lesh when at the park .....thats when it matters so she can socilize and all..but dont do it when crossing the street. Some people put very high expectations on there dogs, some of these expectations these dogs can meet, and some they never will