Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-29-2011, 10:45 PM
Top Dog

I completely agree that it's regional. We kill soo many 8-week-old puppies, small dogs, purebreds, all with fabulous temperments. Dogs that people would be killing each other over if it were anywhere else! We do transport, but it's not enough. Just the other day, we killed a litter of purebred Shar Pei puppies that the breeders had left over from the flea market.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:22 PM
Squishy face

I agree with the others that maybe there's an underpopulation of poodles, shih tzus and other little cute fluffies, but there is a surplus of dogs such as labs, basic *insert color here* in-determinant mutts, and other types according to the area (for example, VA has quite a surplus of all types of hounds, labs and lab mixes, shepherd mixes, and bully breed mixes).

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 01-30-2011, 02:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I think the other posters pretty much summed up my thoughts...

There is a shortage of "desireable" (breed, age, etc.) dogs in at least some areas or the markets wouldn't still be booming like they are.

There is a shortage of educated owners seeking less popular dogs to adopt.

There is a surplus of "unwanted" breeds/ages/stereotypes/adoption requirements/assessment expertise in many areas.

But most importantly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet72947 View Post
...there is a surplus of dogs such as labs, basic *insert color here* in-determinant mutts...
There will never be a surplus of Kim's! (big orange indeterminate mutt)

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 01-30-2011, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

I agree with the "it is regional" comment. My friend runs a private rescue here in Vermont, and when she hit 100 adoptions, I asked her how many were "local" dogs. It was single digits.

She pulls a lot of dogs from West Virginia, Alabama, Kentucky, and a few other places. Meg was on a WV transport.

The issue around here is that, because spay/neuter has been heavily used, and there is a general culture where there is perhaps less 'turn over' of pets than in some other parts of the country, is that the few strays/owner surrenders tend to be dogs with real issues. Issues that the owner wasn't willing or able to work through, and therefore the dogs are frequently not as adoptable. Meanwhile, you can bring truckloads of nice, young, friendly dogs who just need a bit of training up from other parts of the country.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Meanwhile, you can bring truckloads of nice, young, friendly dogs who just need a bit of training up from other parts of the country.
And I do think it's AWESOME that other states are willing to do transports from the overpopulated states. There's always debate going on about how to solve the shelter overcrowding problems in my area, and I truely believe that transporting dogs is the best way to fix it. Unfortunately transports are expensive and logistically difficult.... But still, I wish more shelters/rescues were doing it.