Looking for Labradoodle Stud

jess2416

Who woulda thought
All I can say is...

this is making my head hurt LOL....

this is why I dont venture into these threads normally except to say something pissy...
:rofl1::rofl1:

LillyxPoo

Hello again, while this did take an interesting turn, I will provide you all with a little more as I was in a bit of a rush, and was just hoping maybe I'd come across someone in my area. I've never looked for a stud dog before. Before I start, I will add, I actually own an Australian Koolie myself. Along with my 4 Labradoodles, and German Shepherd Dog.

All our dogs are working dogs on our ranch. I got into Labradoodles after seeing an ad at one of the local stores, and went by and saw the litter, and fell in love with them. The parents were very sweet dogs, so I decided to buy one of the puppies. Well, that was 8 years ago, and since then obviously have taken in 3 more. All from other ranchers for work. They help tend and guard our sheep and cattle, and have also been taught to pull for help with just transporting hay and such from area to area. People on a LD forum I stopped by before apparently find that weird..? Our newest female who this thread was made for, will be my first breeding. I've never heard of health tests before. Is it something in the show dog scene? I did find two studs I am going to see within the week though.

Dekka

Just try me..
No, its a good breeder/ethical human thing. Has nothing to do with showing.

Health tests test for inheritable issues. If your dog doesnt' pass them then you shouldn't breed the dog. I don't know what issues labs and poodles have, but you should get what ever is typical for both breeds.

MandyPug

Sport Model Pug
Labradors: hip and elbow dysplasia, Progressive Retinal Atrophy... So you'll want OFA tests done on both the hips and elbows, then a test from Optigen for PRA.

Poodles: Hip Dysplasia, Legg-Calve-Perthes, Patellar Luxation, Progressive Retinal Atrophy, Optic Nerve Hypoplasia, Von Willebrand's disease... So again OFA tests on the hips as well as knees, Optigen test for PRA, CERF test of Optic Nerve Hypoplasia, and a DNA test for vWd.

BOTH the sire and dam should have all these tests come back good before breeding as well as a Brucellosis test. Brucellosis is a sexually transmitted disease in dogs.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
I've never heard of health tests before. Is it something in the show dog scene? I did find two studs I am going to see within the week though.
First of all, thanks for not getting defensive. A lot of people do when we ask questions, but we all mean well.

Health testing has nothing to do with showing, or registries like AKC, CanKC, etc. The purpose is to screen a dog for genetic diseases that could be passed on to the puppies. A lot of them are hardly noticeable until later in life, so it's important to test them even if your dog looks perfectly healthy, and even if the vet gives a clean bill of health.

MandyPug gave good information as to what is important to screen for.

Some reading material that might help:

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

CERF - CERF Information (Brochure)

This link is about breeding labradoodles and health testing for them:
GoldenDoodle - Labradoodle Breeders Directory

Members online

No members online now.