Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-20-2005, 09:29 PM
LovesAdrienne

Default Puppy chews on leash

When I take Adrienne for walks or out to do her thing she wants to chew on her leash other then what she's been taken out to do. My friend tells me this is a bad thing and that I should make her stop but I dont know how to. Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:29 PM
Top Dog

She's probably a puppy. She will learn. They all learn. Just make sure you tell her and teach her not to do that. She will stop.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:43 PM
LovesAdrienne

Ok thanks! I thought it was a puppy thing and she'd grow out of it but wasnt for sure.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

Teach her the "leave it" command. Practice with things lying out in your yard which entice her and keep walking when she shows an interest to get at them, saying, "leave it." You can use this for so many things. I wouldn't make too big of an issue over the leash playing though. She's a pup and as it was said, she'll get over it. It shows she likes her leash and that's a good thing. Just reward her when she "leaves it" and get her interested in something else. My 2 yr. old Dobe plays with his leash sometimes and I actually encourage it because he's so cute, shaking and flopping his paws all over the place. Then I tell him, "enough....leave it." And he gets back onto the business at hand. LOL. Let your pup be a pup...don't take things too seriously and meanwhile, teaching other things will start to fill up his brain and he'll leave childish things behind. LOL.
Old 10-21-2005, 11:35 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I have read putting something they don't like the taste of on the lead deters them from doing it.

They learn because it is an unpleasant experience. Causes them no pain and no psycho damage!! Apparently citronella is good, and totally natural.

In case nothing else works!!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-22-2005, 05:35 AM
Top Dog

I use a lead that is made out of fine chain, they tend to not chew it as much as its not as tasty
Old 10-22-2005, 11:10 AM
Fila Love

Brutus still does it occasionally if I am walking him in the yard. But when he is in public he walks like a perfect gentleman. He's such a show-off.