Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-12-2011, 02:41 AM
Top Dog

Romy's spot on.

ESAs have access rights only in housing, and only in housing covered by the Fair housing Act. So not in single-family homes. Gavroche is my ESA, and we lived in a no-pets apartment for 7 months. ESAs can also fly in the cabin of an airplane, under the Air Carrier Access Act (I think that's what it's called).

There are some places that give ESAs public access. I believe some parts of California, and possible some parts of Washington and Oregon. But it's local or state laws, and the dogs don't have access anywhere else. And of course it's never really the dog that has access, it's the PWD/handler that has access with the dog.

There are far too many people out there claiming their dogs are SDs and they aren't. Some are well-mannered, but some are terribly untrained, even aggressive. Sadly, many of them are PSDs (psychiatric service dogs) which makes it that much harder for legitimate teams to go places unhassled. Airports can ask for a doctor's note to confirm a PSD is actually an SD (same goes for ESAs). It's a shame they discriminate that way, but we have fakers and huggers to thank for it. (BTW, the SD forum I go to "fakers" are people who are not disabled and say their dog is an SD to get it to fly for free in cabin, take it everywhere, stay in no-pet hotels, etc. and "huggers" are people who really are disabled but their dogs aren't task trained.)

I think ultimately, national certification will take place, and I think we're getting closer and closer to that point. But the logistics of it in such a large country are quite the headache. I guess all we can do is wait and see.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
And the "trainer" of this dog has come to the SD forum I'm on looking for trouble
Did he mention why, in three years, he couldn't train that other dog to sit?

Quote:
I doubt it. ADI's not really good at enforcing their rules.
I believe that this organization is probably not accredited. Accreditation is a long and time-consuming process, they come out for a site visit and look at ALL your procedures - training, safety, EVERYTHING - it's a major pain in the neck. Plus I think there are yearly dues.... not sure about that. Anyway, I wouldn't ever suggest someone go to an organization that's NOT ADI accredited, because accreditation really does show that you've got your ducks in a row; and because there are enough organizations out there that ARE ADI accredited, that if you want a dog and can take care of a dog, it shouldn't be that difficult to find one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I did some sleuthing too and the dog's breeder has several complaints about dogs with congenital heart and other chronic conditions - so much for the claim that she's from valuable lines...Even more reason for her to be spayed imo.
The website of the organization says that the dogs are "West German Show Line German Shepherds".... sounds like a sales pitch to me.

Quote:
I think ultimately, national certification will take place, and I think we're getting closer and closer to that point. But the logistics of it in such a large country are quite the headache. I guess all we can do is wait and see.
I agree, national certification will happen, it's just a matter of when. I think it'll make it more difficult for people who train their own SDs... but opefully they can find a way to make it work. It's really unfortunate that it's coming to this.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:39 PM
Top Dog

I am BEYOND pissed right now. Apparently this dog DID INDEED GO TO SCHOOL TODAY! IN HEAT AND ALL!!!!!

*headdesk*
Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

Oh, and the dog comes from schutzhund lines. Trainer won't say if she's had any bite work, but she has been trained through BH (schutzhund obedience). Granted a dog being from schutzhund lines doesn't automatically disqualify it as an SD, but bite work certainly would. I'd also not try to place a dog from such lines with a CHILD.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am BEYOND pissed right now. Apparently this dog DID INDEED GO TO SCHOOL TODAY! IN HEAT AND ALL!!!!!

*headdesk*
I..... just..... have no words......

*cries*