Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-23-2005, 03:59 PM
Island dweller

Default Yogurt recipe

For those of you, Renee, who like to feed their dogs yogurt I think this website is great. I knew, of course, that it was easy to make yogurt but have never done it and this page is very helpful.

http://www.doingfreedom.com/gen/0600/ff.yogurt.html
Old 01-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Felurian

I used to make my own yogurt. I found a yogurt making set-up at a junk store for $2.00. It really is a "load-it-and-leave-it" operation.

Oooooh!! I'll bet you could make some great tasting yogurt with that Promised Land milk. They have the best chocolate, vanilla, peach and strawberry and it's 100% organic Jersey milk.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Island dweller

I think I'll make just vanilla. That sounds easier than getting all the other stuff. Was it easy to make once you got the hang of it?
I think once you have the ingredients it's pretty cheap.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Felurian

It's been awhile, but it was very easy. I just made plain yogurt, then added whatever I wanted when I ate it. I even used it in place of sour cream.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-23-2005, 04:38 PM
Island dweller

I think that's great. Doesn't have preservatives and crap in it. I'm going to try it.

I found another link that's even easier: http://homecooking.about.com/library...e/bldairy9.htm

Even has a method for making it in a thermos. Do you mind looking at it Renee, and seeing if there's anything to add. I'd do the oven method I think but it just looks too easy compared to the other sites I've been at.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Felurian

For some reason all I got was a blank title page, so I did a look-up on Mother Earth News and came up with the utmost in simplicity. http://www.motherearthnews.com/article/2153/

I've even had people tell me they made yogurt by nestling their containers in a heating pad on low or with a hot water bottle.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Island dweller

It wasn't horribly long so: (your link is great too! I think I'll accumulate knowledge from many sources before I begin)

Making Yogurt Without a Yogurt Maker

Instructions
Here are Phyllis Hobson's techniques for making yogurt if you do not have an appliance designed for it.

With a thermos
Almost fill a thermos bottle (preferably widemouthed) with milk heated to 100 degrees F. Add 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt and mix thoroughly. Put the lid on and wrap the thermos in two or three terry towels. Set it in a warm, draft-free place overnight.

In an oven
Pour 1 quart of milk into a casserole dish and add 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Stir well and cover the casserole. Place in a warm (100 degree F.) oven with the heat off. Let it sit overnight.

On a heating pad
Mix 1 quart of milk and 3 tablespoons of plain yogurt. Set an electric heating pad at medium temperature and place in the bottom of a cardboard box with a lid. (A large shoebox works well.) Fill small plastic containers with the milk-yogurt mixture; put on the lids. Wrap a heating pad around the containers, then cover with towels to fill the box and let sit, undisturbed, for 5 to 6 hours.

In the sun
Pour 1 quart warmed milk into a glass-lidded bowl or casserole. Add 3 tablespoons plain yogurt and cover with the glass lid or a clear glass pie pan. Place in the sun on a warm (not too hot) summer day and let sit 4 to 5 hours. Watch it to make sure it is not shaded as the sun moves.

On the back of a wood-stove
Many grandmothers made clabber by setting a bowl of freshly drawn milk on the back of the stove after supper. Make yogurt this way by adding 1 cup starter to 2 quarts milk and let it sit, loosely covered with a dish towel, on the back of the cooling wood range overnight.

In a Crock-Pot
Preheat a Crock-Pot on low for about 15 minutes, until it feels very warm to the fingertips. Put covered containers of yogurt mixture into the Crock-Pot, cover it, and turn off the heat. At 35- to 45-minutes intervals, heat the Crock-Pot on low for 10 to 15 minutes.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Felurian

If you're not acquainted with Mother Earth News I am so pleased to introduce you to it! Wonderful source for all kinds of things.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-23-2005, 05:11 PM
Island dweller

It looks great. All things with "mother earth" hook me in. I'll browse around there more.