Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 10-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Are you dead yet?

It was the shelter environment. Trin's been here for a day and a half and she's caught right on when it came to 'how to learn'. Even though we made no progress with sit (Bridey I think you're right, and I'm considering just teaching her to stand and stay. It's not too apparent in that picture but she is ALL legs and it's probably tough for her to keep them in order, rofl.) she now responds to 'stand' and 'come here' and understands what I want when I say it.. She's still not insane over food like most dogs when they're hungry but she does like the chicken skin and jerky, I think she's responding better to it because now she's not freefeeding, and actually has a reason to want food.

Thanks so much for the help! We'll see if she can stay here for another few days to continue to work on 'come'.. It just depends on whether or not it's possible for her to coexist with Ripley.
Old 10-18-2005, 06:36 PM
Naturally Natural

sounds like being in a home situation was just what she needed - congrats!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:39 PM
Top Dog

Wow, sorry I'm so late seeing this thread. My goodness, you've taken on a challenge. Do you suppose you'll keep her? It sounds like you're making progress. I think when you've developed a more solid, long lasting relationship and she knows that she can trust you and that you're not going anywhere, she may get more easily motivated to move forward in her learning. She may be still a bit depressed and a dog that is at all stressed or insecure can't learn very well. I like Bridey's ideas. Best of luck!
Old 10-18-2005, 08:48 PM
Are you dead yet?

Doberluv, I'd love to add her to the family, we've really bonded. But, given the chance, she'd eat my cats and my small dog. I don't know if any amount of training could suppress that drive, and I just don't want to take any chances. She really needs a household with no small animals.

I've come in contact with the lady my trainer recommended, and the agility judge who lives near me, both are going to try to help me find a good home for her that will understand her personality. Thanks everyone for your help and I'll keep you updated on how the search for a home goes.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:50 AM
Show Dog

Well done for taking her away from the kennels, sighthounds are a bit difficult to train, they're just rather independant. Depending on the dog they can be trained to be small dog and cat friendly but it would take some time and a lot of effort. With cats they're usually fine until they run! Ive found with greys its hard to find something to motivate them, mine didnt have a clue what a treat or a toy was when she first came home. (wouldnt move unless on a lead either). Lurchers are usually a different thing altogether and very food motivated. She may just need a bit longer to settle in and feel comfortable.

Oh and bridey? is right sit is not always acheivable with sighthounds, they will do it on their own but rarely.