Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Puppy Dog

Default very food aggressive dog

I found this video earlier of a very food aggressive golden retriever. I think the dog is acting like this because he is tied up. Poor dog.

YouTube - Juvenile Golden Retriever - Food Aggression
Old 11-17-2010, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

No, he's not acting like that just because he's tied up. I've seen a lot of dogs with barrier frustration (leash, fence, crate, etc.) and that ain't it.

I do think it's interesting that he's very clearly guarding the food, not the bowl. Most dogs will continue guarding the bowl even when it's empty, but he was completely focused on only the food.

P.S. The yelling - "stop it!" "sit!" "leave it!" "no!" etc. - isn't helping... probably just getting him more worked up.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 PM
Behavior Nerd

Videos like that just make me wonder why people continue to *push* a dog that's obviously aggressive.

When I did evals in a shelter setting we *stopped* the eval when the dog growled (we were not able to rehab guarders due to space and resource considerations). Even if you can work with guarders, you only need to see the first bite to know that this dog is VERY serious and will do significant damage, you don't need to keep pushing him.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:44 PM
and Spy.

What a shame... Good looking dog, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:14 AM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzybeth727 View Post

I do think it's interesting that he's very clearly guarding the food, not the bowl. Most dogs will continue guarding the bowl even when it's empty, but he was completely focused on only the food.
Really? I grew up with a food aggressive chessie, and he only guarded his bowl when it had food in it. If it was empty, he could have cared less about it.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Top Dog

I also know some dogs who won't guard food just lying around on the ground or something they're eating off the floor, but they will guard their bowl, with or without food in it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-18-2010, 11:16 AM
Behavior Nerd

Sweet - I evaled a resource guarding GR at my last job - fine with everything except food, but would act similar to the dog in the vid over food and once we got the empty bowl away from him he stared down the person holding it until they went out of sight. Very scary dog!