Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Grooming Forum

Old 08-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Active Pup

Default How do I trim/clean my Yorkie's ears?

I'm going to be grooming my Yorkie for the first time and I'm just wondering how I clean/trim his ears. If I need any special tools for the ears please let me know, I would much appreciate the advice!
Old 08-22-2010, 06:38 PM
*Now with Snark*

Yorkie's ears are usually tipped. I use a 10 or a 15 blade on a pair of clippers and run them on the top 1/4th of the ear. Then I use a short straight shear to bring them to a point and a pair of thinners to blend the ear length into the head.

HOWEVER~~!! If you don't know what you're doing, the rules of ear handling in grooming, or your dog isn't very well mannered on the groom table you run the risk of seriously hurting your dog so if you're not sure... don't do it. Do the rest of the clip then stop by a groomer to ask them to tip the ears for you.
Old 11-02-2010, 11:55 PM
Big Dog

For cleaning my maletese's ears I use regular cotton buds and put a little baby oil.

For trimming, if it is your first time, I would suggest for you to bring her to a groomers first and watch how it is done before trying it out on your own.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 PM
~Lisa~

I do what K09 does.
You will also want ear powder do get the ear hair out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Bright View Post
For trimming, if it is your first time, I would suggest for you to bring her to a groomers first and watch how it is done before trying it out on your own.

Most groomers will not just let people in to watch. grooming is tresful on a dog, and a dog that can see its owners is normally a nightmare.