Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-21-2005, 12:42 PM
Active Pup

Default fila question

hi i just wanted to know what a fila dog is because i hear alot of people hear talking about them they sound like a good dog and are they largely available

thank you
Old 01-21-2005, 12:58 PM
Felurian

The Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian Mastiff) is NOT a dog for most people. They are also considered a rare breed and aren't largely available - something that reputable, responsible Fila people try to maintain. They are only for very experienced dog owners who are very at ease with dominant, self-determined dogs that need a great amount of socialization and time with their owners.

Here are some links that will tell you more. The first is a thread here with a description of the Fila's temperament. My Fila-expert friends thought it described it very well. The other two links are to a very informative site built by a true expert on the Fila, and the breeder my Kharma came from.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799
http://www.mindspring.com/~anableps/fila.html
www.defenderfilas.com

There are some European countries that have banned the breed or severely restricted it, and I believe I remember being told that Australia - or parts of it - have banned the breed as well. They tend to be very misunderstood. They are a working breed and are perfectly suited for what they do. We actually use ours with cattle, as they were bred to do centuries ago in South America. If well and carefully socialized, they can make excellent companion animals, and have been used in enforcement, rescue, "sniffing," and other types of work.

But I can't state strongly enough that this is definitely NOT a breed for most. They also tend to take over your life and you become addicted quite easily, and you will never leave the house again without some sort of doggie print on your clothes . . .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Active Pup

Thumbs up

thanks for your help i really liked the breed they look like a really protective dog but the bad thing is it doesnt like strangers which is good in a way if under control thanks you again
Old 01-21-2005, 01:33 PM
Island dweller

Definitely a thread for you Renee.
Old 01-21-2005, 02:24 PM
Spoiled Rotten Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Definitely a thread for you Renee.
Yep, I think we can leave this one to Renee....
Old 01-21-2005, 08:14 PM
Felurian

One never "controls" a Fila. One enters into an exclusive bond, a trust, so that the dog will trust your judgement - possibly against even its own judgement. These are dogs that were bred to make decisions on their own as they often were working without human supervision on the fazendas. One of the important goals of socialization is allowing the dog to learn what is 'normal' versus what is threatening in a real-world situation. This can be quite stressful in a crowded urban environment - to both dog and owner!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-22-2005, 08:40 AM
Love my pets

Wow, great info Renee. I don't know if we will ever own a Fila, but I just love reading up on them and seeing all the pics!
Old 01-22-2005, 09:27 AM
Felurian

When Charley announced that we were going to have Filas, I figured I'd better find out all I could about them!

You should have seen me when we went to get Buffy - lol. I'd read everything I could find and was probably much better educated on them than 98% of people who choose a breed, but it did NOT prepare me for meeting Gamble, her father. Gary (who is a big man) came out with Gamble on the leash and realized with a jolt that this was a dog that couldn't be held back by a human if he decided to go. I was instantly aware I was in the Presence of an elemental force of nature. And I could feel him sizing me up; deciding whether or not I should be there. The intellect was almost palpable. There was no malice in him; no overt threat - just the certain knowledge that I was being studied most intently.

And nothing, nothing at all, can prepare you for the delightful and sometimes perplexing eccentricities of these creatures. I've often remarked that they are really very large cats in baggy dog suits.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian