Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 10-29-2010, 12:10 PM
Taxiderpy

Default Girl in heat question

Is it normal for them to go off their food? I've never heard or read anything about that, only about intact males going off food.

Kaia we think is coming into season. She smells different. Strider became obsessed with sticking his nose up her bum two days ago (they are 100% separated, have been ever since then). I've been wiping her bottom several times a day but there isn't any color yet. She's barely eaten anything today and yesterday, and she usually snarfs down her kibble (all 6-9 cups).
Old 10-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Yep.

I don't know about "normal", but certainly not abnormal when they're in heat. They can run various changes that aren't all that different from what we go through...changes in appetite (not eating, eating more, eating different), changes in thirst, increased urination, upset stomach, mood swings. Morgan even had hot and cold flashes and cramping.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 10-29-2010, 12:41 PM
Taxiderpy

Okay cool, I wasn't sure if that was something to worry about or not. Since she didn't have any color, I was getting worried it could be a UTI or something that was changing the way she smelled. She's not having any problems pottying and stuff though.
Old 10-30-2010, 09:46 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Yep. Roo has been very off for the past two weeks. It sucks! They are so out of sorts and even though you know what is wrong you still worry.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 11-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Taxiderpy

Aargh, poor Kaia. She's been off food several days. I got her to eat some kibble last night, and she has diarrhea now. No wonder she's been trying to nom all the furniture.

After her diarrhea clears up, would it be okay to give her white rice? I just feel so bad she's so hungry, but can't handle her regular food right now.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:59 PM
and Fozzie B!

I would give her a bland diet of rice and chicken with lots of pumpkin/yogurt mixed in. A lot of dogs that are boarded in heat will not eat and have irregularities... we give them a good canned food mixed with pumpkin. They deserve to be spoiled. No one likes that time of the year/month!

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-01-2010, 11:43 PM
Taxiderpy

Thanks! I'll pick some up tomorrow. We've got the pumpkin and rice, just not the canned food. She'll be really glad to have it.